Thursday, January 14, 2016

Thank you, Alan Rickman

I have often threatened my coworkers that we will make our client's deadlines, even if there's bruising or loss of blood, even if I have to call off Christmas.

This is not an original thought. No one has ever busted me, though, for stealing it from the inimitable Alan Rickman in Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves. If they haven't seen this film, it's their loss. For he managed to be a luminous villain in a completely average movie.



He was also Hans Gruber in Die Hard. I've seen that movie dozens of times, and always feel a little twinge of sadness when he falls to his death. Bruce Willis' John McClane is a hero that stays with us because he had such a charismatic, formidable foe.

So I'm going to miss Alan Rickman, and I'm grateful for the time I've spent watching his work.




1 comment:

  1. Even when he played the bad guy in Love, Actually there was an element of elegance in his performance.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.