Saturday, July 13, 2013

It's Where I Left

I spent today in the village where I grew up. First I went to the dentist (No cavities! Atta, Gal!), then I stopped at the yard/bake sale being held to support the animal shelter that gave me Reynaldo. (I no
longer blame them.) Then I wandered up the street, carrying the coffee cake and kitty water bowl I'd just purchased and had a grilled cheese sandwich at the local fast food restaurant. I still had about 15 minutes to kill before my hair cut (who knew the dental appointment would go so smoothly?) so I went to the park across from my grade school.

It has two tennis courts, two basketball hoops, a sandy area for beach volleyball and a soccer field. There's a covered picnic area, drinking fountains, a porta potty and -- my favorite -- a swingset and slide.

And I had it all to myself!

On a sunny, warm Saturday afternoon, there were no kids playing soccer, no moms passing out sandwiches at the picnic table, no teens playing tennis, no elderly friends chatting on a picnic bench, no one reading under a tree.

It was sad and spooky.

I took advantage of the opportunity to climb onto a swing and fly through the air with the greatest of ease. I watched my K-8 career fly by, too, as I looked at my old school. I remembered which entrance I used for which grade.

Parks like this are used in my current hometown, by people of all ages. I wondered where everyone in girlhood town was. As I swung I heard laughter from a backyard pool party and the distant rumble of lawn being mowed. But I saw NO ONE from my high flying vantage point. I didn't even see any cars in driveways. (Don't parents make their kids wash the family car anymore?)

I don't recall it being like this when I was a kid. I recall riding my bike all over town, playing with jump ropes and hula hoops. And how I love(d) the swings!

At any rate, I enjoyed being outside so much today. I also realized anew I am happier in the town I currently call home.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.