Saturday, June 30, 2012

Take Me out to the Ballgame!

Today, John and I are celebrating his birthday within The Friendly Confines of Wrigley Field!

The world looks a lot different today than it did when I ordered these tickets.

First of all, the Cubs suck (27-49). Normally this wouldn't bother me. The Cubs are my team and I just love baseball. But so many of the players are new this season that I haven't developed any real emotional attachment yet. So while I'm sure I'll have fun (Have you ever seen Wrigley Field? The bricks and ivy are so beautiful as to break your heart!), I'm not as into the individual balls and strikes as I normally am because I'm not as invested in what each at-bat means to my guys as I was last year at this time. Oh well, it happens. Every few years the team rebuilds and we go through this.

Secondly, John was let go earlier this month. I haven't told him this, naturally, but I'm worried about his future employability in our field. He has a stubborn, personal aversion to the Internet and social media (he just got his own email this week!) that will make it hard for him to sell himself as a well-rounded writer. No matter how fabulous his wordplay might be, it'll be hard for him implement it in the electronic media that's part of every business plan today … and it plays into the stereotype that older creatives (Gulp!) are out of touch. Also, John has a tendency (as do I) to sink into depression. It's one of the things that we recognized about one another when we first met more than 30 years ago. Outwardly, he and I couldn't be more different (black/white, male/female, gay/straight, tall/short, atheist/Christian), but there's a hyperawareness and sensitivity we share. And the downside to it is depression. So I welcome this opportunity to see him, spend time with him, and make sure he's OK.

Lastly, it's been so FREAKING HOT! Over 100ยบ at times. But today it's predicted to be a touch cooler and less humid. I take this as a good sign.


1 comment:

  1. I hope you had a great time and a nice, cold beer!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.