Friday, April 08, 2011

Is it because I'm a Cub fan?

Reflections on jury duty. It went as well as could be expected today. I got there on time, which was my first big concern. The criminal court house is on California Avenue, a neighborhood I seldom get to (OK, one I only visit when called for jury duty), so I was worried about the commute.

Then my panel was called right away. Even though I don't relish the thought of being responsible for either depriving a fellow citizen of his freedom or letting a criminal go free, sitting in that big drafty jury room all day is cruel and unusual punishment in and of itself.

Of the 40 of us ushered into the court room, 23 of us were called and put in the jury box. Then each of us seated there was questioned. First the judge explained to us that the case was regarding heroin possession and sale. We were introduced to the defendant and the lawyers, and the prosecutor took over.

He was attractive in an overly-muscular, bald-headed, Mr. Clean kinda way. But he wasn't shirtless, he was in a nice gray three-piece suit, and he did his best to be cheery, but I could see how he would be very intimidating.

Here is what he asked me as he reviewed my questionnaire:

Do I rent or own? Own

What does an "associate creative director" do? I work on advertising campaigns

How long have you been in advertising? Your entire career?
Practically

So you have served on a jury before?
Yes. Right here in the criminal court building.

Was a verdict reached in that case?
Yes.

Did anything happen in that case that would have an impact on your ability to be an impartial juror in this case?
No.

You were a victim of a crime in the 1990s. Could you tell us about it?
It was attempted sexual assault.

Oh. Did you have to testify in the case?
No, they never arrested anybody.

Is there anything about that incident that would have an impact on your ability to be an impartial juror in this case?
No.
Do you have any hobbies? I am a Cub fan.

That must be rough.
It's a way of life, sir. (Much laughter.)

Here the judge interrupts with mock solemnity: "Move along, counselor. She's not the only Cub fan in this room." (More laughter.)


Ms. Completely-Mangles-My-Last-Name, if the state proves beyond a reasonable doubt that the
defendant is guilty, could you sign a guilty verdict? Yes.

And if the state fails to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant is not guilty, could you sign a not guilty verdict?
Yes.

Thank you.

I do dig it that I'm the only one who cracked up the judge.

Then we retired to the jury room and of the 23 of us questioned, they chose 14. I was not among them. So I grabbed my check for $17.20 and went home.

Getting off the bus at the wrong stop, it took me an extra 15 minutes (in the rain) to get home, so I rewarded myself with a hot dog. Once I got home, I took a long nap. I was exhausted, because emotionally I really didn't want to serve. But I also appreciate that it's my duty.

I mean, I never served in the military. It's my duty as a citizen to be an informed voter (I did that Tuesday) and to show up and take jury duty seriously. So this week I did the least I could do the best I could.

3 comments:

  1. Are you in an active jury duty pool or was that it? The only experience I've had is anecdotal and the person was in an active pool and had to show up three different times before the "duty" was over. (That might have been Federal court, I can't remember.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're called from a pool of registered voters and licensed drivers. It's supposed to be completely random, except that I tend to get called more than anyone else I know! Service is one jury/one day per year. Meaning that since I wasn't called today to sit on a jury, I'm done now until April 8, 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Gal, I've followed your blog for what seems like years, mostly silently. After re-reading your blog description (I usually get your entries through Google news so I just see the new content) I recall why. Your demographic really is underrepresented online so I'm glad you take the time to write.

    As for Jury Duty... the ways of jury selection are inscrutable. Perhaps the defendant was into the Sox.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.