Saturday, February 05, 2011

On my mind

The national news is full of updates about Egypt. But I'm too preoccupied with news closer to home to even contemplate international unrest. For the snow storm of Tuesday night left most of the businesses around here closed on Wednesday, and the schools remained closed on Thursday, too. And this has caused incremental economic hardship to those who can afford it least.

The people who work in fast food restaurants, retail stores, gas stations, etc., most likely didn't get vacation pay for their unexpected day off. When they went back to work on Thursday, they probably had to find daycare for the young kids who weren't in school.

This time of year is historically hard on food pantries. After Thanksgiving and Christmas, helping the hungry slips people's minds. Plus, when those holiday credit card bills come in, giving anywhere, to any good cause, can feel like an unmanageable budget pinch right now.

Which is why I'm fixating on those right here in town. I took a bag of groceries over to our local food pantry and it was buzzing with activity. I particularly noticed breakfast cereal going out the door at a fast rate.

After I dropped off this month's bag of groceries, I stopped off at the store and did some shopping for myself and began a new bag with a box of Post Alpha Bits (on sale for just $1).

If you have the time, inclination and wherewithal, maybe you can start a bag to help those in your neighborhood.

4 comments:

  1. great idea...our church has containers in all the hall ways. i must be remember to add several items to them each week...thank you for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's easy to forget the charities when we're all struggling with this issue and that. You're a good soul, Gal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This month I'm going to make a double donation--one for personal care items and for food items. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snowbird11:57 AM

    You are an inspiration. Every Tuesday night I play bingo - and every other Tuesday night, if you bring in a food donation, you receive a "free 50/50" card. So, every other Tuesday night, I head out to bingo with an armful of goodies - it helps the hungry, and helps me, too!! Snowbird

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.