Monday, January 17, 2011

Movie Monday -- Roles of Reverence


Share movies that feature a religious character role, linking back here at The Bumbles.

This movie made me want to be a nun. Realizing that one has to be a Catholic to take that step was very disappointing. Mischievous teens Mary and Rachel enjoyed such "scathingly brilliant" but ultimately wholesome hijinks at St. Francis, the sisters who taught them were so wise and compassionate, everyone seemed so compatible and content ... and there was a self-contained quality to their lives that appealed to me as I approached the scary and daunting world of adolescence. To be completely honest, it wasn't dedicating my life to God that attracted me. It was the "cocoon" aspect. I imagined that living my life at a convent school like St. Francis would be fun and safe, free of intimidating and overwhelming issues like sex and drugs and gender roles and ambition.

While I outgrew my desire to hide from life at St. Francis, I still watch The Trouble with Angels whenever it comes on. A warm and charming little comedy, it dependably makes me feel safe and sound again.

4 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean. I still want to be a monk or nun, mostly for the convent or monastery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen this, but it sounds like a movie worth seeing. I will have to look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I forgot all about this movie. What a fun romp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this film and had completely forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder :)

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.