Monday, January 03, 2011

John Seward Johnson II


A nephew of the rich and famous Johnson & Johnson's you see in your supermarket, John Seward Johnson II is a sculptor whose work appears around Key West. He not only did Marilyn, he's responsible for every figure in this photograph. First there's "Daydream," in which he recreates the Matisse dancing nudes. And there's the lad preparing to toss a frisbee, oblvious to all the feminine flesh over his shoulder. And finally there's the amateur painter, recreating Johnson's recreation. Called "Copyright Infringement," it's Johnson's way of answering critics who say that's all he does.

It was very hard to get this shot. Many boys, young men and not-so-young men are not as nonchalant around the naked ladies as Seward's sculpture, and I had to wait a long time for several of them to have their photos taken groping the metal boobs and buttocks.

Bored with my vacation yet?

2 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing your vacation with us...i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to laugh at your description of having to wait a long time to get a good photo!

    And, no, I'm not bored with your vacation. I'm envious. In a good way.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.