Monday, May 25, 2009

The results are in!

My best friend completed his 10k race this morning, and his times were posted online. He came in squarely in the middle of the pack, only 3 minutes faster than his time last year.

This confused me.

He's been training for months, and training hard. He joined a health club and had a specific training regimen developed by his personal trainer. He even worked out while he and his wife celebrated their second honeymoon in Hawaii! His goal was to finish the race in less than an hour.

Not only did he not come in at less than an hour, he only picked up 3 minutes? Over last year's time, when he didn't prepare at all?

As I perused the entire race results, it all became clear to me. For there was someone else with his last name, from his suburb, with his exact time. Seems his 11-year-old daughter decided to join him and it looks like he matched pace with her. (For her age group, she came in the top 1/3.)

I haven't heard from him yet regarding the race, but I hope he considers it the triumph it was. He's a very good man.

3 comments:

  1. Aw, that's a nice story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are both champs. Great accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:11 PM

    Aww, that's really nice of him, and that's fantastic that he's got his daughter into running. Both my brother and sister have been running since middle school (they're graduating high school in a few weeks time) and it's probably the best thing they could do for themselves.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.