Saturday, September 27, 2008

The Bluest Eyes in Heaven

I have said it before -- I thought Paul Newman was the coolest guy in the universe. I'm so sad to hear he died yesterday, and only hope his passing was peaceful. The coolest guy in the universe deserved no less.

He was an electrifying film presence. If you haven't seen Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid or Cool Hand Luke, get yourself to Blockbuster right now! It was more than his movies that made him so cool, though …

He was married to the same woman for half a century, a woman who is pretty damn cool herself, Ms. Joanne Woodward. He used his fame for good, whether he was marching with Dr. King in Washington or raising hundreds of millions of dollars for charity with his Newman's Own products.

I live next door to recipients of his good works. In addition to providing sliding scale daycare for my community, the building next door is home to anywhere from a dozen to twenty kids who are waiting for placement in foster care. I didn't realize how often these children are separated from their siblings, but when this sad situation came to the attention of Paul Newman's foundation, a happy tradition began. Each summer, the kids next door and their siblings (whether already placed in foster homes or living in another communal children's home here in Chicagoland) spend the day together at a nearby amusement park, courtesy of Newman's Own.

Paul Newman touched so many hearts, with his movies, with his dedication to social causes, with those blue eyes. I'm grateful for film, so that in a way he'll always be with us.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:05 PM

    The first drive-in movie I ever went to was a Paul Newman movie - Cat on a Hot Tin Roof - and from that moment on, I thought he was the best looking man in the universe. I, too, am saddened by his death. Since I thought he had the most beautiful blue eyes on earth, I am sure it will be the same in Heaven. *Sigh*

    Now...what's with the Cubs? Snowbird

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew you'd have a post about my man Paul Newman (I wrote one too). I really liked the story you shared about the foster care kids and their siblings who get to spend the day at an amusement park courtesy of Newman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aw how sad, I had No idea that he had passed, what a beautiful tribute you've written.
    I Loved him the sting and in the hustler, what a fine actor and such a handsome man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In case you didn't see it yet, TCM is doing a Paul Newman tribute on Sunday, Oct. 12th. Here is the lineup of films:

    6:00 AM The Rack
    8:00 AM Until They Sail
    10:00 AM Torn Curtain
    12:15 PM Exodus
    3:45 PM Sweet Bird of Youth
    6:00 PM Hud
    8:00 PM Somebody Up There Likes Me
    10:00 PM Cool Hand Luke
    12:15 AM Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
    2:15 AM Rachel, Rachel (Newman directed, but did not star, in this film)
    4:00 AM The Outrage

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.