Monday, June 25, 2007

And they lived happily ever after


This past weekend I went to a friend's wedding reception. It was lovely and, like the Grinch, my small heart grew three sizes that day.

The bride is 51. The groom is 53. It's the first marriage for each, and I think that's because God was saving them for one another.

Of all my friends, she is by far the most successful. She has worked hard on her career and is very, very good at what she does. Unfortunately some age-appropriate men have found her power and salary intimidating.

Yesterday, as I watched the bride and her groom move from table to table at the reception, with him gazing at her as though he had found the Jewel of the Nile, I almost cried. He's not the kind of man she used to dream about -- he's no taller than she is, he's balding, he's quite happy as a middle manager -- but he is the man who has fulfilled all her dreams. Even more than the Cubs sweep of the Sox, her happiness gave me reason to celebrate.

3 comments:

  1. weddings are always great for making everyone around them feel great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I hate weddings as a rule. That reference to the Grinch wasn't made lightly. Usually they're awkward and weird, like Benihana. I end up eating with people I don't know very well, making superficial small talk, smiling my fake smile till my gums go dry while surreptiously looking at my watch and wondering if I've put in enough time and can escape now. The weddings seem to be more about the bride and her mother than the bride and groom. It all usually just gives me a headache.

    That's why THIS wedding was worthy of note ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, that is even a better explanation. Though for future reference, once the cake is cut, you can skeddaddle

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.