Saturday, November 25, 2023

Saturday 9

Saturday 9: Long Cool Woman (in a Black Dress) 1972

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This week's song begins with Hollies' lead singer Allan Clarke telling us of a Saturday night trip downtown, taken at the behest of the FBI. What are your plans for Saturday night? (No, we don't expect you to tell us you'll be working undercover for a government agency.) I'm going to be under the covers with the new love of my life, my Vapoinhaler. I'll have my tissue box nearby, too. Yes, I'm sick. But it's only a cold and I'm just a big baby. I hope I'm feeling better in time for work on Monday. (<<< Hey! That's a sentence I never thought I'd utter again!)


2) At a bar, he meets a woman in a black dress. The LBD, or little black dress, is a wardrobe staple for many women because it's appropriate for almost any occasion. Let's say you get a last-minute invitation for a "dressy" dinner this weekend and you don't have the time or money to buy something new. What's your go-to outfit from your closet? I'd probably wear what I wore to my niece's wedding three years ago -- a long garnet duster over a matching cami and black leggings. Shoes would be a problem, since I don't think I have a pair of dressy flats to go along with it. Oh well, I shan't sweat it since this is a fantasy, after all.

3) Everyone at the bar starts to run when they hear sirens. Do you often hear sirens in your neighborhood? All the time. I don't really notice them anymore. I get nervous when the siren gets louder and slower, telling me the emergency vehicle is stopping nearby.

4) In 1972, the year this week's song was on the charts, Popeye's opened their first fast-food chicken restaurant in Louisiana. Now that the Thanksgiving feast is over, will you be eating any carry-out this weekend? Perhaps. There may be a trip to the local burger joint in my future. Unless I'm feeling exceptionally lazy. 


5) Black is this week's signature color because November 24 was Black Friday, when retailers historically have slashed their prices and the holiday shopping season begins. Have you begun your gift shopping? I'm just about done! I still have to get my niece a set of private label barbecue sauces from a local restaurant. She lives in Michigan and she can't get these particular sauces up there. I also want to make a donation in my friend Kathleen's name to The Carter Center. She admires Jimmy Carter enormously and I'm sure she's been moved by all the tributes to Rosalyn.

6) Walmart, Best Buy and Target all advertise heavily on Black Friday. If you could have a $100 gift card from one of those stores, which would you choose? What would you buy? Target. 

7) This Monday is sometimes known as Cyber Monday because shoppers can find big savings online. Do you shop confidently online, or do you worry about security breaches and identity theft? I recently was a victim of a breach, and it had nothing to do with online shopping. Back in 2018, my primary care physician sent me to the hospital for an ultrasound of my leg. Now, in November 2023, I got notice that my hospital records were compromised. I just received a very strange call Thursday from a local number. A heavily-accented man said he was calling from "[Unintelligible] Health" about my leg. I yelled at him, saying only a scammer would call on a national holiday and that there's nothing wrong with my leg. Gotta keep a close eye on my credit report. 

8) What are you thankful for this year? My friends. I have a network that supports me. I am so fortunate that way.

9) Random question: Who was the last person you spoke to on the phone (texting doesn't count)? My oldest friend called to wish me a happy birthday by playing the lads singing "Birthday" into the receiver.



8 comments:

  1. I am also the victim of a medical breach, but so far it has only resulted in emails soliciting my business for various products, Good ID insurance is a must these days

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had problems too because my social security number is out there. Probably from when I left my wallet on the gas station counter, and someone must have gotten it. Every so often I get a notice of credit opened in my name and I have to do the leg work to clean up the mess. Then I have to let the credit bureaus know to lock my account. Big hassle! But I feel safe online for the most part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an online friend that every year would post the YouTube video of birthday on my page. I looked forward to it every year and would play it and enjoy it. She has moved on to something different now, but I love that song so much.
    Thank-you for the link you left at my blog. Josh would love everything on there!
    I have a cold too. I stayed in bed for a while this morning to try to get some rest. I hope we both feel better soon. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend. ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, apparently, I owe you a belated wish for a happy birthday! That said, Vick's Vapoinhaler....I think seeing that brought on PTSD. I had chronic bronchitis growing up and my dad made me sniff those things constantly. Hated them. I hope it works for you, though, and you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. #3 I get Life-Star helicopters flying over my house on the way to the hospital that is only a couple of miles away.
    #4 Today is carry out for me, I going to the local seafood place. I don’t know what I’ll have it depends upon what mood I’m in when I order.
    #6 We Saturday 9ers like our Target stores.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope your cold doesn't linger.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you are feeling better. The issue with online hacking is horrible. I hope whatever hospital facility was hacked offered you IDX or some other company that watches over things (although the one mine offered me doesn't work well).

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.