Saturday, August 05, 2023

August Happiness Challenge -- Day 5

My 2023 Happiness Icon

Today's Happiness: Bruce, baseball, brains and a burger. Before my hair cut I had lunch with my nephew. I had a burger, he had pizza. We talked about:

• Bruce Springsteen -- Next week my nephew is seeing The Boss for the first time ... and at Wrigley Field!

• Baseball -- We talked about our Cubs, how entertaining this season's roster is, and how cool it is that we're actually making a run for the wildcard spot.

• Brains -- I am not taking this Anthony Rizzo concussion news well. Not by the longest shot. Not just because Anthony Rizzo is a great guy -- though that would be enough -- but because it kicks up sad and disturbing feelings about my friend Henry's TBI. I confessed to my nephew that since I heard, I haven't been able to watch more than a few moments of baseball. Suddenly they don't seem like millionaire professional athletes anymore. Now all I see are 18 fragile boys, taking the field and risking injury for my entertainment. I know this will pass, but it's how I feel right now.

It makes me happy that we have so many shared interests and I can speak to him honestly. I told him that as cute as he was as a wee one, I enjoy him now, too.

2 comments:

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.