Friday, June 02, 2023

OK, that wasn't smart

I spent three hours working the local library book sale. One nice thing about being retired is I can help in the afternoon, when they have trouble getting volunteers. I signed up to receive and sort donated books. I filled a box with paperback and hardcover books, labeled it GENERAL NON-FICTION,* and, to make room for more books, moved it from atop the table to under it. Ow ow ow! My back really rejected that particular bit of activity.

So I moved to assembling boxes instead of filling them. I became a box building machine! Unfolding and refolding all the sides in tight, taping the bottom and crossing out* any writing from years gone by. Far, far more boring than sorting, but easier on my back.

Note to self: When you return to volunteer again in a couple weeks, don't be stupid and think you can easily bend while holding 35 lbs.of books. 

*I'd forgotten how much I like the smell of magic markers.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you volunteering! I know the group my mom is in has a lot of trouble getting enough help for the used book sale....which is coming up this month! I love book sale season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to volunteer! We love library (and all kinds) of book sales. Just this morning, we stopped to donate a box of books to the "Friends of the Library" and I ended up coming away with 4 different books from the "Friends of the Library" book sales shelf. Sigh. I don't know if I will every truly be able to downsize my book collection. I am making more use of the library than I have in the past however. Sorry you hurt your back, but glad you were able to switch to making boxes, and it sounds like you were really good at it! I hope you have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.