Saturday, May 27, 2023

Saturday 9

Saturday 9: Some Gave All (1992)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

Memorial Day is the federal holiday designated to honor American service people who died in battle.

1) Here at Saturday 9, we regard everyone who served -- veterans and active military -- as heroes. Have you, or has anyone in your family, worn the uniform of our armed forces? We want to hear about them. My dad was a Navy corpsman during the Korean War. He knew how to apply/remove butterfly stitches, saving a trip or two to the ER for neighborhood kids. My favorite uncle was in the Army during Vietnam. He was exposed to Agent Orange, and it ruined his health. I am still very angry about this. Just another unjust and immoral thing about that unjust and immoral war.* My oldest nephew was a Navy damage controlman and served on The Nimitz, the second largest aircraft carrier in the world. His stint in the military was the best thing that every happened to him. He was aimless when he went in and came out with ambition, discipline and job training.

2) Memorial Day has its own flag etiquette. In the morning, the American flag should be flown at half staff in memory of those we have lost. Then, at noon, it should be raised briskly to full staff, in honor of all who have served. Where is the nearest flag flying from where you sit right now? The post office is around the corner.

3) Since 1988, motorcycle riders have participated in Rolling Thunder. In events all over the country, including Washington DC, bikers "Roll Together" to draw attention to service members still missing and raise awareness of mental health issues our veterans cope with each day. When have you most recently ridden a motorcycle? A scooter? A bicycle? It was more than a decade ago. I was in Key West for the holidays and Henry thought we should pedal on over to the botanical garden. I was wobbly at first, but the old saying is true: you truly can't forget how to ride a bike. It was a lovely day. A cherished memory.

4) This week's song is the title track of Billy Ray Cyrus' best-selling album. Named for this patriotic song, the album also included Billy Ray's signature song, "Achy Breaky Heart." "Achy Breaky Heart" is a popular choice on karaoke nights. Do you know it well enough to sing along? Yes. But don't worry, I won't.

5) Sandy Kane, the hero of "Some Gave All," is based on a real Vietnam vet Billy Ray Cyrus met and spoke to about his sacrifice for his country. Can you think of another song based on a real person? Tara Browne was a very young millionaire, an heir to the Guiness liquor fortune and friend to the Beatles. His sudden death shocked them and John sang about it in "A Day in the Life." ("He blew his mind out in a car/he didn't notice that the lights had changed ...").

6) Memorial Day is the traditional kick off of the summer season. Have you packed away your winter clothes yet? I'm going to do it this weekend. Honest.

7) As you answer these questions, is there a fan or an air conditioner cooling your room? There's a fan in the window.

8) Memorial Day is also a holiday for retailers. Ads promise great prices on everything from grills to lawn decorations to high tech gear and gadgets. Will you be shopping any sales this weekend? Nope.

9) Random question: When is the last time you felt like a kid? All summer long when I watch baseball.


*I mean it: Don't get me started. We drafted boys, exposed them to toxic exfoliants and then abandoned them decades later when their health deteriorated. Btw, it was George W. Bush's VA that epically failed my uncle when he needed them, so don't even try to tell me how the GOP loves and cares for veterans. I loved my uncle very much and I'm still so, so angry about this.

5 comments:

  1. You can get those clothes switched out! I have faith in you, because if I can already have it done...anybody can. I won't torture anyone with my singing, either. Oh, I answered you on my blog...I dance the Macarena several times a week as a form of exercise with the people I work with. I bet the bike ride with Henry was lovely. I'm glad you have that memory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:02 PM

    #2 I didn’t think of the post office’s flag.
    #7 Tomorrow it should be warm enough for a fan, right now it is a comfortable 75.

    I got a problem with Chrome it only lets me post as “Anonymous”
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree with you about Vietnam. Love your song choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty sure the USA is not the greatest country in the world anymore. Maybe it never was. Nobody else has ever unleased an atomic bomb, but we have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. #1. That disgusting, illegal war ruined so many lives. Big time. I have my cousins and brother to look at.
    I love the Macarena, and wish that I was younger so I could still go dancing like we did when we were young.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.