Saturday, May 20, 2023

Saturday 9


Saturday 9: Mirrors (2013)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Is there a mirror in the room you're in now? Yes. I'm in my bedroom. There's a mirror above my dresser and a full-length one behind the bedroom door.
 
2) In this song, Justin Timberlake tells his lover he just can't wait till they're together. What are you eagerly looking forward to today? I'm getting my film nerd on, watching Summer Storm, a 1944 melodrama and this week's classic movie group movie. It's an early black-and-white film by one of my favorite directors, Douglas Sirk, who went on to make entertaining, glossy technicolor soap operas in the 1950s. I'm eager to see work from the beginning of his career.
 
This is based on Chekhov? Oh well, a little culture won't hurt me.

3) Justin Timberlake is known as a sharp dresser who is always on trend. What item have you recently added to your wardrobe? Not in months and months. I bought two pairs of Birkenstock sandals when they were on sale around Labor Day last year and hardly wore them before the weather got cold, so they're practically new.

 
4) Justin was an accomplished child performer who appeared on the entertainment competition show Star Search when he was just 11. When Crazy Sam was 11, her only job was loading and unloading the dishwasher, for which she received an allowance from her dad. Did you have chores when you were a kid? Oh, my parents tried. But I have always been incredibly lazy and nothing "stuck." It's funny, but I always wanted to be the one to take the trash out but my mom wouldn't let me. She insisted on doing it herself. There was an apartment building across the alley and she was obsessed with the tenants tossing their McDonald's bags into our garbage cans when they got out of their cars (rather than walking past their backdoor to their own trash cans). All these years later, I still don't know why she cared.
 
5) He says he tries never to miss breakfast, even on the road, and his favorite is peanut butter banana pancakes. Given the choice, do you prefer pancakes, french toast, or waffles? I'm more of an egg girl myself, but of those choices, I'll go with the french toast.

6) When they were still in their teens, Justin Timberlake and Britney Spears were sweethearts. Obviously it's been easy for him to keep up with her successes and problems over the years. Do you wonder what one of your exes is up to? No, not a one of them. All of them. I think it would be enormously sad to have once loved someone and then not care at all. I'll hear a song or see a movie and it'll remind me of a special someone and I'll wonder where he is now. I hope they similarly think of me with fondness.
 
7) In 2013, when this song was popular, Pope Benedict resigned. Thinking of your working life, have you felt greater stress on your first day at a job, or your last? They've both been stressful, but in different ways. When I'm starting, I worry I won't be able to cut it. When I'm leaving, I worry that I didn't leave everything in order for my successor.

8) Also in 2013, the NHL owners reached an agreement with the players union and avoided a strike. Have you ever belonged to a union? Nope.

9) Random question: When was one of the first times when you felt like an adult? The Christmas when I first realized my mom was looking forward to my gift to her with greater enthusiasm that I was her gift to me. Suddenly it seemed she needed help getting the things she wanted, just as I had when I was a teen. It was just a hint of the role reversal to come. If realizing that your parents need and depend on you doesn't make you feel like an adult, nothing will.


 

7 comments:

  1. So much truth in #9 now that you've mentioned it. Christmas has become an exercise in trying to find something to give to my mom that she will like and use and not really looking forward to the rather odd things she chooses to gift us with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love french toast too. Hey, I did have good sleep. I feel so much better. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love #6 & 7 especially, although #9 is poignant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you on #9, but cannot get my husband to see that his 89-year-old mother needs more attention and care. She drops hints when I am around and then I nag, but I cannot do anything and have been told to stay out of it. Yet, still I nag.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whatever happened to Linda Darnell?

    ReplyDelete
  6. #2 I like old movies! Now movies are all blood and guts… bang, bang shoot them and up, and crash cars.
    #4 Ops… “Oh, my parents tried. But I have always been incredibly lazy and nothing ‘stuck.’” sounds like me.
    #6 So true. Only one that I never care to hear anything about, all the others I’m glad that they are doing okay.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.