Friday, May 12, 2023

Care Down There

I just took baby wipes and toilet paper to the bank. It was part of the "Care Down There" drive for the local homeless shelter. In addition to baby wipes and TP, they were accepting diapers and sanitary products. 

The collection bin was only at the bank for two weeks, and today is the last day. That makes me sad because it's something I would support every time I go to the bank.*

I've been a supporter of the local food bank all along but this was different. The food bank is for people facing hunger. They may be temporarily unemployed, or paychecks don't stretch far enough. While they are my neighbors and I am happy to help, these people have roofs over their heads.

It occurs to me I don't even know where my local homeless shelter is. I know that the location of the home for domestic abuse victims is a secret -- for obvious reasons -- but I should know where the homeless shelter is. Especially now that the good State of Texas is so generous in sharing migrants with us.

This is the dilemma: So many in this community need help! And I only have so much to share. I'm retired now, and my money has to last the rest of my life.

So what I do is fill up on things at The Dollar Store. I give "blessing bags"† to the homeless I encounter. Every time I shop I add something to my bag of canned goods for the food pantry. If I knew where to take items to the homeless shelter, I'd pick up a pack of baby wipes with every trip.

I have some research to do! So far, all the Google Machine has been able to find is the site of the new, improved shelter that's under construction, not the site where people in need go now. Maybe my church has this info ...

*I visit this branch twice/month to deposit in the quarters from our laundry room into the condo association's bank account. 

†A zip-lock bag with a tissue pack, a breakfast bar, a mask, chapstick, cough drops, and $1 bill. 



5 comments:

  1. This is such a commendable thing to do. I don't run into homeless people living a rural area - the services are all in the city and so that is where they go (and where I never go). We do have local food banks for our 12% impoverished population, and I donate money to that or to Feeding Southwest Virginia when they're having drives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make blessing bags too. Our community just opened up a new homeless shelter. Nice that you can help out. Every bit counts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the bag idea. I read about it on Facebook several years ago. Unfortunately, one doesn't really see homeless people in my small town. We do have a shelter, though, for men. (Women have to go to the county seat.) Fortunately, the family whose patriarch founded the men's shelter goes to my church and there are many opportunities to help out. My favorite is at Christmas when we make a meal and sit down to eat and visit with them. They have said the men really appreciate having people spend time and treat them like they matter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are kind and generous. I donated a bunch of stuff to our homeless shelter last fall when a lady at our church was spearheading a drive. I also helped with hygiene kits for refugees last fall on the September 11 Day of Service. It's important to help those in need whenever we can. After all, the first two great commandments are love God and love others. You are a great example to me and all of your readers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire what you do for others. It really makes me stop and think about what I can do too. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.