Friday, February 10, 2023

Saturday 9

Saturday 9: My Funny Valentine (1953)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Frank sings that his lover is his favorite work of art. Tell us about a piece of artwork you can see from where you're sitting now. (Yes, that crayon drawing by your 5-year-old nephew counts.) This is Thomas McKnight's Lake Shore Drive. It's hanging in my living room right now, and I love it. If money were no object and I could live anywhere, it would be high above LSD, enjoying this view.



2) He asks her to not change her hair. When will you next find yourself in the stylist's chair? I may be getting my locks colored and shorn as you're reading this on Saturday. I have an afternoon appointment.

3) Sinatra is often photographed in hats because he began losing his hair while in his 30s. He wore "a rug" for TV, concert and film appearances but really didn't like it, considering the toupee merely part of his work attire. What do you wear when you wish to appear professional? I layer. The right cardigan can make even an Old Navy t-shirt look professional.

4) Sinatra is best known for his singing and won an Oscar for his acting. But not many people know he liked to paint until he widow sold his paintings at auction. Do you have a secret talent? I have beautiful handwriting. I have no idea why this is, since I am tragically challenged when it comes to drawing. Doesn't it seem that, since both skills depend upon manual dexterity, they would go together?
 
5) As a kid, he was a paperboy in his hometown of Hoboken, NJ.  Tell us about one of your early jobs. How I loved babysitting! I wish I could still get paid to drink Coke, eat potato chips, and watch movies while kids sleep in the next room.
  
This is the last Saturday  9 before Valentine's Day and so this morning we shall focus on the upcoming holiday. 

6) The holiday is also known as The Feast of St. Valentine. Do you have a special meal planned for Tuesday? Nope.

7) The phrase "wear your heart on your sleeve" began in medieval times. On Valentine's Day, men would celebrate the holiday by displaying their lady love's name on their sleeves. If you were going to adopt this custom, whose name would you wear?


8) Women buy and send more Valentines than men do. Who received the last greeting card you sent? I sent a Valentine to my dear friend Henry. I love him very much.
  
9) Sweethearts, those candy hearts with sayings like "BE MINE" stamped on them, began as throat lozenges. Are you fan of these little candies? Nope. I don't like how they taste and I think the messages are dumb. Sorry.



6 comments:

  1. My first job was babysitting as well. Not a bad gig. I love the Lakeshore Drive painting you have hanging in your home. Beautiful. Yes, that would be a great view to have out of your window. I hope you have a nice Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #1, I love your painting. I can get lost in paintings. I have one in my bedroom that belonged to my Grandparents. I would look at it at night and visualize I was in that painting as I would fall asleep. I feel the same way about the painting you posted. I could get lost in that one too. The messages are dumb on Sweethearts, but I still enjoy them from time to time. Not a favorite, that would be chocolate. Loved your answers! Happy Valentine's Day! Have a nice weekend. ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. #4 My handwriting is so bad that I can’t even read it!
    #9 Yes, they are way too sweet for me, you might as well eat a sugar cube.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am envious of your beautiful handwriting. Mine is awful and cramped.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These were fun questions and I enjoyed reading your answers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am also envious of your handwriting. Mine is awful.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.