Tuesday, January 10, 2023

No, I didn't send $1,200 to Thao in Colorado

I woke up this morning to an alert from my bank. I had "suspicious activity" to review. Apparently a Zelle transfer for $1,200 to a new cell number had appeared.

I'm very grateful the bank caught it and put a hold on it until they heard from me. Not only do I not know anyone named Thao in Colorado, I currently only have $820.95 in my account.

As Chase's fraud department and I went through recent account activity, it seems someone tried to set up an Apple Pay account and abandoned the effort. No, it was not me.

I had to change my username and password, as well as the password on the email account connected to my bank account. 

Upon reading my travails of yesterday (post below), Country Dew wondered if I wouldn't rather pay "with a chicken and a loaf of bread." That does seem attractive, doesn't it? I also now long for landline phones with rotary dials and checks with a cashier checking the signature. For while all this progress makes my life easier, it also leaves me more vulnerable.


4 comments:

  1. Hi Gal. I am so glad that your bank sent you an alert and you stopped the fraud. So troubling and frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been a victim of fraud a number of times. I have been able to resolve it each time, but so much work. This digital age has been good in some ways and a nightmare in others. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When the bad people get a hold of other's accounts, it makes for a lot of work and worry. It shouldn't be so easy, but it is, even if I don't know how they do it. I'm glad you had the fraud alerts set up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read that Zelle has frequent cyber security issues. Sorry it is your turn!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.