Saturday, December 17, 2022

Saturday 9

Saturday 9: The Christmas Song (1964)


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
 
1) While this song was published as "The Christmas Song," many people refer to it as "Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire." Have you ever roasted chestnuts (in an open fire or in the oven)? Nope.

2) Ricky Nelson sings that turkey helps make the season bright. Many of us just had turkey last month for Thanksgiving. Do you enjoy turkey all year around? Or do you consider it a seasonal dish? I love turkey. I'll enjoy it all year.

3) He wishes "Merry Christmas" to kids from 1 to 92. Who is the youngest person you will celebrate the holidays with? Who is the oldest? Youngest is my nephew, who is 22. Oldest is my friend John, who is 67.
 
4) "The Christmas Song" is a perennial favorite and gets lots of play this time of year. Is there a holiday song that you think is overplayed, and that you hope to not hear again (at least not until December 2023)? I can't stand "Suzy Snowflake." I've heard it three times this year, and that's three times too many.

5) This version of the song is from The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet, the sitcom that ran from 1952 to 1966. There were 435 episodes in all. Is there a series whose every episode you've seen? Sex and the City, Friends, M*A*S*H, The Dick Van Dyke Show, I Love Lucy ... I'm a true vid kid.
 
6) Life magazine coined the phrase "teen idol" to describe Ricky's popularity. In your younger days, did you have a crush on a teen idol? I was six when I fell in love with Sir Paul. I love him still.
 

7) Do you have a funny/ugly holiday sweater? Yes. I have been told this sweater is "an eyesore." I don't care. I love it.
 
8) Have you received many holiday cards this year? Did you send many? I sent about 25. I've received about a dozen.

9) If you were Santa, what cookie would you like kids to leave for you on Christmas Eve? Chocolate macaroons.
 

 

9 comments:

  1. Chocolate macaroons sounds really good. I send out more cards than I get. I am okay with that. I am happy to send to relatives who are not on social media. I put them in the gifts that I passed out last week when I saw my family. My family did the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've certainly seen worse sweaters! And I have not heard Suzy Snowflake in years. I'd forgotten that song existed until you mentioned. I guess the station I listen to doesn't have it in its lineup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word--I haven't heard Suzy Snowflake since childhood!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is that a Cubs sweater?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that sweater. I always sent out more cards than I receive. Some people text or email me after they receive my card. I don't know as I have every heard Suzy Snowflake. It's Santa Baby that I can't stand. I hope you have having a good Saturday. See you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like a good turkey sandwich any time of year...a hot one with gravy in the colder months and one with cracked black pepper in the summer. Yum. That's an interesting sweater, but after some of the outfits my coworkers wore for the Christmas party we had for our clients on Friday...all I can say is that sweater's no eyesore by comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I have ever heard Suzi Snowflake playing on the radio or anywhere.. I was however Suzi Snowflake when I was in elementary school. I had to sing the solo. I will check out your link. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am listening now...I wore a white dress with silver garland around the bottom and sleeves. I was much better. That sounds really old! I sang the come out everyone and play with me, I haven't long to stay part. The classmates sang the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. #4 I have been lucky never to have heard of Suzy Snowflake
    #9 Oh… Chocolate macaroons. Yum.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.