Saturday, October 22, 2022

Saturday 9

Saturday 9: Things (1962)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Bobby Darin is sitting beside his window, looking out onto a crowded avenue. What's the view outside your nearest window? I'm in the bedroom, so the view is pretty dull: the roof of the building next door. The cats love it, because squirrels manage to leap from the tree onto that roof. I, on the other hand, prefer the living room, which gives me a view of the tree and a playground.
 
2) He likes to remember the romantic things he and his girl used to do, like walking in the park. When did you most recently go for a leisurely stroll? Did you have a destination in mind, or were you just enjoying the walk for its own sake? I like to walk but I have to have a destination in mind: the BIG grocery store on the other side of town instead of just picking something up at nearby Target, the farther-away UPS Store instead of the post office ...

3) He notes a couple holding hands. Are you comfortable displaying affection in public? It doesn't bother me.
 
4) When Bobby recorded this song, he was married to screen sweetheart Sandra Dee. Today she is best known as the inspiration for the song, "Look at Me, I'm Sandra Dee." Can you name another song from Grease? Well, oh, well, oh, well, oh, UH ...
 



5) Bobby loved gadgets. He was enthusiastic about his suitcase telephone, which was one of the first mobile phones. Are you an early adapter, or do you wait for new technology to be around awhile and not so new before you try it? I prefer to wait because I'm tech challenged. I've had this phone a year and I still can't figure out the notifications.
 
6) He was a chess fanatic and always kept a magnetic chess board in his briefcase, just in case he found someone who was willing to play him. Are you a good chess player? No. I've tried, and I suck. I'm not very strategic.
 
7) He very much wanted to play Tony in West Side Story, but he didn't the part because the producers didn't think he looked like a romantic leading man. What actor or actress makes your heart skip a beat? This is Josh Duhamel. He plays Danny on Las Vegas, a 20-year-old TV show I recently discovered. Danny does make my heart go thump-thump. I wonder why I didn't watch this show in real time.
 
8) In 1962, when this song was popular, Jack Nicklaus launched his successful golf career. Do you enjoy playing golf, or watching it on TV? No. I simply don't get golf.

9) Random question: Which would we find in your kitchen right now -- cookies or ice cream? Both. I have a sweet tooth.
 

 

 

7 comments:

  1. Having 3 cats ourselves, I'm amused at the idea of yours watching squirrels on the roof next door! I can't believe Las Vegas is 20, wow! And yes, I watched it for Josh Duhamel, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it would be so neat to be able to walk everywhere you need to go, but at the same time I would not be happy living in the city.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of having stores close by. It's a 2.5 hour drive to the closest Target. Whatever happened to Josh Duhamel?

    ReplyDelete
  4. A sweet tooth is hard to tame. (Regarding a stroll on the farm - pastures are terrible for walking. The cattle make the ground uneven plus there are groundhog holes. I broke my ankle stepping in one long ago. So, while I rambled the woods and fields when I was younger, now I prefer more level ground.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Josh did not like Grease for a while, but somehow, he met one of the smaller actresses online that was in the beauty school dropout scene, and he likes her anyway. I am not sure if he likes the movie now because of that, but I LOVE Grease. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you. I got a new iphone 13 this past spring and still can't figure out some of the features. We didn't get our iphones until 2016, but back in the 80s, my hubs was one of the first in the neighborhood to have a VCR. Go figure. Both cookies and ice cream for me as well, but I am trying to cut back on all things surgary. I'm not a golfer either unless miniature golf with the grandkids count. I hope you are having a good weekend and enjoying retirement! See you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love sweets too, followed by salty!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.