Sunday, October 16, 2022

Baseball, baseball, baseball

My Saturday was devoted to America's past time. I'm having a hard time separating myself from former Cub manager Joe Maddon's memoir of a life in baseball. Whenever forced to do something else during the day -- like chores -- I was resentful that I wasn't with Joe.

Then I started watching the Astros/Mariners game. The Astros are heavy favorites to represent the American League in the World Series. The Mariners were supposed to feel lucky to be there. The Mariners played the game of their lives last night. Eighteen (18!) innings -- literally twice the length of a regulation game -- before they finally fell. 

Of course I had to switch to the Yankees/Guardians game. The Yankees lost, but I'm still hopeful. It can't be an accident that my beloved Anthony Rizzo is facing the end of his season in the same city where, six seasons ago, as a Cub, he was looking at the same fate. He prevailed then. I have hopes he will do the same tonight.

Then there's the Dodgers. They had the best record in baseball during the regular season, yet they fell  unceremoniously to their California neighbors to the south, San Diego.

Today I'm looking forward to more Joe and the Yankees/Guardians rematch at 7:00 PM. (Go, Rizz!)

via GIPHY

 



1 comment:

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.