Wednesday, July 06, 2022

Thursday Thirteen #265

Thirteen facts about appetite. I'm Fatty McFatterson. I enjoy eating. Yet sometimes I'm just not hungry. Why?

1. Hot weather. Food provides energy. Our bodies burn energy to create heat and keep us warm. In warm weather, we need less of that energy, and therefore less food. (Heat is a major appetite suppressant for me.)

2. Anxiety. Stress hormones can slow your appetite.

3. Stomach virus. Nausea decreases appetite as the gastrointestinal system recovers.

4. Respiratory illness. The flu can have an impact on your senses of smell and taste, and this can depress appetite.

5. Chronic pain. When your body is expending energy to battle an ongoing condition like arthritis, you may lose your appetite.

7. Antibiotics can cause bloat and nausea, which can kill appetite. (This is going on with me right now. The antibiotics I took after I had my tooth pulled have played terrible games with my gut.)

8. Sedatives. When sedatives slow your brain activity, they can lessen your appetite, too.

9. Diuretics. Like headaches, loss of appetite is a common side effect.

10. Change in time/schedule. Some people find that travel from one time zone to another throws off their appetite.

11. Age. Hunger levels can decrease with time.

12. Poor dental health. If it hurts to eat, you're not going to get hungry as often.

13. Boredom. Maybe your taste buds just need a jumpstart.



Please join us for THURSDAY THIRTEEN. Click here to play along, and to see other interesting compilations of 13 things.

 

 

3 comments:

  1. Heat is an appetite suppressant for me, too. I hate the heat. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am no fan of heat, either. We are being blasted and roasted constantly and I don't think the air conditioning turns off ever anymore. Apparently, though, little affects my desire to have something in my mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When my first husband died, I stopped eating. That was the first time in my life when I didn’t feed my emotions. It took several months before my appetite kicked in.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.