Sunday, July 17, 2022

Then there's this

Sometimes it's hard to be happy about the way things are going in this country. According to 538, a staggering 40% of Americans still view insurrectionist-in-chief Donald Trump "favorably." (No, really.) Peacefully take a knee, like Colin Kaepernick, and you deserve to lose your livelihood. Plan an attack on The Capitol from the Oval Office, and we'll re-elect you!  

Three Supreme Court nominees took an oath as they began their confirmation hearings and then lied about Roe. Voters who cosset themselves in my Christian faith are good with this, too. I guess I missed the week in Sunday School when they taught us how the ends justify the means. 

It's become fashionable to blame the police in Uvalde and the parents of the Highland Park shooter for the latest mass shootings. While it's true that the police and the parents failed, it completely misses the fact that both shooters bought high-powered AR rifles legally. The most immediate problem at hand is not police procedure or filial fuck-up, it's allowing civilians to have combat rifles.

The economy has always risen and fallen. It's cyclical and has less to do with the President or Governor than many of us believe. That's why dollar cost averaging works when we invest. But this moral decay? It's obvious to me on whose shoulders this rests. And it's such a ridiculous cyclical argument! "I love the Constitution but I'll look the other way if it's my guy shredding it. I want to protect the unborn but I'm OK with school children being shot. BUT GAS PRICES! NOW I'M MAD!" How corrupt is that?

Which is why I cling to this.


The Diana Award was founded by former Prime Minister Gordon Brown and other British politicians to honor the late Princess of Wales, and it's based on her belief that young people have the power to change their communities and our world. It's the most prestigious award someone aged 9-25 can receive. Princes William and Harry participate in the annual celebration.

20-year-old Shreya Patel is the Massachusetts-based founder of Letters Against Isolation. For two years now, she and her kid sister Saffron have been facilitating correspondence with people in nursing homes, seniors that feel forgotten. Today it's a massive organization, with a sophisticated signup process that makes it easy for you (yes, you!) to find a senior in your state who needs to hear from you. Too broke for postage? These brilliant girls have established a stamp fund. 

The link I get from Letters Against Isolation is a highlight of my Sunday. I know that by signing up to write, I am improving two lives: the person who receives my letter and, of course, my own. Supporting Shreya and Saffron, reaching out and alleviating loneliness ... these things brings me closer to God and give me hope at a time when I need it.

Here's that link again for Letters Against Isolation. (Hint, hint.) I first found out about LAI from Bev at Funny the World. Thank you, Bev!

Click here.





4 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:18 PM

    After reading about LAI on your blog, I also signed up to write letters. It’s been rewarding and a good excuse to buy colored markers and stickers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing the link again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always about the $$$$, you know? Him who got it gots power. UGH. I feel you.

    I think it was here that I learned about Letters Against Isolation and joined up! Thanks for the tip and it's lovely to see joy on both ends - giving AND receiving. It reminds me of Cancer Angels - same sort of thing but for those going through treatment. I signed my mom up for her last few months of life and she enjoyed those letters.

    As a letter aficionado, I knew this was right up my alley. Thank you again for the link and the love we share with others.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.