Saturday, June 04, 2022

Sunday Salon

"There is no such thing as coincidence." That's Rule #39 as decreed by Leroy Jethro Gibbs (the dreamy Mark Harmon), for many seasons the leader of the special agents on NCIS.

I don't care what Gibbs says, I've found coincidences in my reading lately. First of all, I kicked off Pride Month with a biography of Rock Hudson, the actor who became the first public face of AIDS. It wasn't by design. I'd forgotten June was Pride Month. I've wanted to read this bio since I saw two of Rock Hudson's best films at the TCM Classic Film Festival in April, and I just now got to it. Still, when I finished it, I was sad that he lived his life so deep in the closet. He seemed like a nice, hardworking, gentle man. I wish he hadn't had to live with the fear of exposure.

Then I picked up Dirty Blonde by Lisa Scottoline. I chose it because my library app (Hoopla) recommended it. I find Scottoline books diverting so I clicked on it. Guess what: it's about a judge who has a secret and is terrified of exposure.

I don't know what I'll read next, but I hope it's light and frothy. After all this intrigue and suspense, I'd like to spend time with people whose secrets are, to borrow from the movie Cabaret, as "fatale as an after dinner mint."

What about you? Do you find patterns to your reading/viewing? Do you plan it that way, or does it just happen?

Check out other Sunday Salon participants here.


7 comments:

  1. I just might look for that Lisa Scottoline book on Hoopla. Sounds interesting. I like a lot of Rock Hudson movies and I LOVED McMillan and Wife back in the day. Hope you have a good Sunday. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe the right books choose us, not us choosing the right book!

    I love Rock Hudson as well and loved your quote from Cabaret. I've read a book last year that reminded me so much of Cabaret. It was called Secrets and Showgirls. Have a look!

    Hope you will have a good week ahead.

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cabaret is a favorite of mine, too. I love the way they adapted the original book by Christopher Isherwood, which is also a great work on its own. Lots of wise words — especially the song “Money makes the world go around.”
    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love NCIS, (and Mark Harmon). I quite often find unexpected connections between books.

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
  5. I rarely plan for my reads to coincide - it's always a shock when they do in some remote way. I've read several by Scottoline but not that one yet. It's hard to keep up with these busy authors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it when my reads all have a common theme. It doesn't happen often enough for me.

    Rock Hudson was my mom's favorite actor. I'm sad he had to live his life in such secrecy. It's a tough way to live.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a basket FULL of books by my bed - the unread pile. I tend to buy books by the same author (almost always non-fiction) and read everything I can get my hands on in sequential order until I've mastered the subject or concept. Boring, no?

    So many authors. So little time. (*nudging you towards retirement, my friend...*)

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.