Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Thursday Thirteen #257

Thirteen facts things about tooth loss. This is very top of mind for me these days.

1. Statistically speaking, the average 65-year-old will have already lost multiple teeth.

2. More than 36 million Americans don't have any teeth at all, though 90% of these people have dentures.

3. The primary cause of tooth loss is periodontal disease. This is a bacterial infection that destroys first the gum and then the bone. (This is me. I'm so typical!)

4. I didn't start flossing until my 30s. I wish I could get those decades back. Flossing can help prevent periodontal disease. (In my case, I ended up getting multiple crowns when I was in my 30s and guess what: they're all wearing out.)

5. Genetics also play a role. If your parents suffered from receding gums (I'm raising my hand), you're likely to, as well.

7. Tobacco use can add to the plaque build up, which leads to tooth decay and gum disease and tooth loss.

8. So does grinding your teeth. You're putting extra pressure on your gum line, which leads to gum recession and -- you guess it! -- tooth loss.

9. To help you avoid all the expense and discomfort of dealing with tooth loss, try to have your teeth cleaned by the dentist twice a year. This is the best way to make sure all the plaque is removed.

10. Stop thinking of mouthwash as something to keep your breath fresh. Instead, thinking of it as a tool in your tooth-saving arsenal and switch to an anti-bacterial rinse.

11. Eat more tooth-healthy foods. What makes a food "tooth healthy?" If it stimulates saliva, it will help wash away bits of food and bacteria that get trapped in your teeth. Fresh fruits and vegetables are often considered "tooth healthy."

12. Drink tap water. Your municipality likely puts fluoride in the water, and that can help fight decay.

13. Brush after every meal. Carry a toothbrush with you if you're eating away from home. (Yeah, I never did this, either. But then, I'm looking at more than ten thousand dollars in dental work, so ...)



Please join us for THURSDAY THIRTEEN. Click here to play along, and to see other interesting compilations of 13 things.

 

 

7 comments:

  1. Me too. Didn't start flossing till my 30s, late. Dealt with some periodontal issues but everything improved (as in stopped progressing) once I got an electric toothbrush and brushed my gums close to the teeth. It made a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was quite interesting. I decided as an adult to get braces when I was in my early 40's. I used to carry a toothbrush in my purse and brushed after every meal. I don't do that anymore, but I floss after every meal because my teeth have once again shifted, and some are too close together and I can't stand having food particles stuck in there. I'm going to look for an antibacterial mouthwash!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up on well water--no fluoride. Lot's of cavities, braces, and crowns. I've lost two back teeth already, which doesn't bother me, but I sure wish I'd taken better care of my teeth back in the day. The best thing I ever did was stop smoking, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is dental phobia a common one? Just reading this list gave me the heebie jeebies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:25 PM

    As I am getting older, I am experiencing dry mouth. My dentist suggest that I use use 'dental tape' every night. Since I've started to use the tape, my gums are in better shape. The dentist also suggested that I use an gum gel after I brush my teeth, twice a day, and this has also helped tremendously with the health of my gums. By the way, the dental tape can be found in any drug store and is inexpensive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry your dental work is going to be so expensive. It really shouldn't be. The things this country does to suppress the populace and keep us all working and poor never ceases to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently had my teeth cleaned. The dental hygienist asked what I was doing differently that my teeth didn’t need much of a workout for her. It could be the grit of the cinnamon toothpaste I’m using now.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.