Friday, April 29, 2022

At the Movies -- Day Four

 

The last day started early with old friends, Nick and Nora Charles and After the Thin Man (1936). I love this series. I smiled the entire time.

 

Then I leaned against the bar at The Roosevelt with Will, listening to Piper Laurie. She's been acting for (gulp!) 70 years and has earned three Oscar nominations. She had great stories about Tyrone Power, Paul Newman, Dana Andrews ... Most of all, I liked how unpretentious she was. She seemed genuinely amused that she's best known for "dirty pillows," her most memorable line as the dangerously nutty mother in Carrie.

Seeing The Sting (1973) on the BIG screen was great fun. Newman and Redford are simply the coolest guys ever. I don't know if you have noticed, but they are also not unattractive.

The screenwriter, David Ward, was in attendance. Dear Lord, what a script! He talked about his research, talking to confidence men. They don't take your money, he said, they are too elegant for that. Instead, they persuade you to give it to them.

Tony Bill and Michael Philips, the producers, were there, too. Tony Bill cracked me up because he STILL isn't happy with the casting. Newman and Redford just weren't who he had in mind. Gondorf should be older and Hooker should be younger. Peter Boyle and Jeff Bridges would have been "better." Really? REALLY? 10 Oscar nominations, 8 wins (including Best Picture). I don't think "better" is possible!

I ended the Festival with the 30th anniversary showing of A League of Their Own (1992). I'd never seen this movie. In the summer of 1992, I was working very hard on Bill Clinton's Presidential campaign and just didn't have time for movies. Also, I hate, loathe, despise, and abominate Madonna.

But this year, following both the Yankees and the Cubs, I realize that I not only love my team, I love baseball. I love the sounds. I love the history. It was thrilling to see my beloved Wrigley Field on the big screen. Tom Hanks is very good at playing a very flawed man. But baseball is really the star of this film, and I luxuriated in it.

Waiting in line, I met a man who is a tour guide at Wrigley Field! I asked him if he's noticed a dip in fan enthusiasm since last August's trading of Bryzzo and he says yes, without a doubt. More complaints about that than about this past spring's lockout. He also has met Anthony Rizzo's entire family and told me how indiscreet Rizz' dad could be when talking to fans. It must be hard to be thrust into reflected celebrity like that.

So TCMFF 2022 is in the books. Can you tell I'm already looking forward to 2023? 


3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed every word of these posts. I was waiting for this! I love your enthusiasm about old movies and I love that you make new friends via this outlet. I am so glad you had a great time and enjoyed it (though I am wondering about the issue with the antibiotics). And I have watched League of Their Own several times; not for Madonna, or even Tom Hanks, though he's very good in it . . . but for Geena Davis. I'm afraid it's the only movie you mentioned that I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love how much you love movies. This series was a LOT of fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My jaw is hanging open that you have never seen A League of Their Own--what a love letter to baseball that movie is.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.