Sunday, November 07, 2021

I'm always late for church!

Even when it's virtual, I just can't seem to get it together in time. Anyway, I missed service altogether last week and didn't see that we were doing this.

Inspiring Compassion: The 30 Day Compassion Challenge. 30 days to explore the topic of compassion: Mindfulness, Compassion for Friends & Family, Self-Compassion, Compassion for All, Compassion for Our Planet

Today I'm determined to focus on two of these -- Self-Compassion and Compassion for All -- with a single act. I'm going to walk to the other side of town to the dollar store.

Self-Compassion: I'm facing a crazy few weeks at work, and today is a warm, sunny autumn Sunday. There will be precious few of these perfect days before winter. I'm going to be good to myself and get out in it. Laundry can wait! Monday morning, with stress and worry about work, will arrive soon enough.

Compassion for All: I will pick up dollar store goodies for my "blessing bags." I try to carry them in my purse. These baggies include a disposable mask, a dollar bill, and something else. I like to toss in a packet of tissues, maybe cough drops, and a breakfast bar. All of these things are available at the dollar store at such an affordable price there's no reason not to do it! It's grounding to remember -- as so many complain about gas prices, empty store shelves, etc. -- that there are those among us who sleep outside, and for them small comforts like a clean mask and a clean tissue are blessings.

I hope that these daily observances will open my heart into a more Christian heart that responds.


 

3 comments:

  1. I love the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a marvelous idea! I love this. I have heard of "blessing bags" but haven't ever put any together. I love you acts of service and compassion. Would that we could all be more Christian and actually act more like Christ! Thanks for sharing this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great challenge and the blessing bags sound terrific. I don't live in a place where they would be of use (too rural) but if I worked downtown they could be helpful to others. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.