Monday, November 15, 2021

Done!

I buckled in and buckled down and wrote six pages of copy for a booklet about investing for retirement.* I'm not tickled about working a full day on Sunday, but it felt good to be done.

I have to pick up another project first thing Monday morning. Not as difficult as the brochure: just a pair of emails about health insurance. I shouldn't say "just," because this email blast is important to my client's business plan. It's simply a less complicated task than a booklet with a bullet point devoted to "tax loss harvesting."

I am tired. 

It occurs to me that I have been doing this 43 years now. GULP!

My first copywriting job was for the Sears catalog. Sears closed their last Chicagoland store for good Sunday. It's fall and the trees are bare. I take all of these as signs that this part of my life is coming to a close.

The thing is, right now my stock at my agency is high as it's ever been. There were (many) times in the past that I've felt I was about to be canned and I was scared because I wasn't ready, financially or emotionally. I'll be 64 next week, which means I have Social Security to factor into my retirement plans, so looking at the finish line no longer causes anxiety.

*With the charts the client requested, I think it will be an 11-page brochure. Which cannot exist because a piece of paper has two sides. But right now, that's not my problem.

4 comments:

  1. Back in the day (1980s) I used to work at an insurance and benefits company and wrote brochures like that as part of their in-house PR department. So glad you got your big brochure project finished. Wow, that is sad that Sears has now closed its last store in Chicagoland. Who would have thought that would ever happen? We had a big Sears store in downtown Salt Lake City that now stands empty and deserted. Someone (homeless person) started a fire in it last week, but it wasn't destroyed. I always feel a little sense of loss when I drive by the now boarded up building. I have so many memories of the place. It was our go-to for just about everything when we were young. We took our oldest girls there every three months for pictures in the photo studio. Memories. I am 62 now, and am planning on four more years in the classroom (after this one). I hope I can make it. Teaching is exhausting physically, mentally and emotionally. Retirement looms large. Glad you are feeling ready, with a good plan. I feel good about the finances of retirement, and my goal now is stay healthy! I always enjoy your posts. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great you finished the looming project. It sounds complicated and a little bit dull (no offense). I can't wait to be able to retire. I've got a 4 years until I'm eligible. As Deb said, teaching is tough-tougher than it's been in any of my previous years.

    Anyhow, congratulations on a job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew you would get it done. You're a pro. You got this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go you! I'm curious, are you planning to retire at 65? I'm such a fiend for work, I'm going to tough it out until I'm 70, also because I'm greedy and want the biggest SS check I can get. I planned...poorly. Remedying that now, but catch up is impossible at this point unless someone drops the lottery on my head.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.