Tuesday, November 02, 2021

Big OOPS!

Some in my Zoom movie group drone on and on and are obnoxious. Worst of all is Marvin. He's about 40 and new to classic film, which he believes makes his opinion fascinating. Every week he says, "This will shock you, but this is the first I've heard of Rita Hayworth/film noir/Howard Hawks." Then he goes on, and on, and on, lecturing the rest of us. I feel like shouting, "NO, MARVIN! I'm not 'shocked.' I'm too apathetic about you for my reaction to rise to 'shocked.'" Instead of shouting, I usually just turn off my camera and do dishes or balance my checkbook until he shuts the fuck up.

But not Monday night. Monday night I remained engaged, exchanging snarky comments in the private chat with Elaine. She told me about how she felt "forced" to go to dinner with Marvin and his wife, our moderator Will, and annoying Betty. I joked that I imagined Marvin opening the menu and announcing to the table, "This will shock you, but this is the first I've heard of empanadas." I could see Elaine smile on camera and start typing.

"I know! I wish someone would cut out Marvin's tongue." 

Only she didn't put that in the private chat. She shared it with the whole group. Including Marvin.

Elaine was, naturally, mortified. No one said anything to her, so perhaps he never saw it. That's what we hope, at least.

Because of this, I know I'll be more careful before I hit post. I hope by sharing this, I'll inspire you to be more careful, too.


 
 

2 comments:

  1. HOLY MOLY!!!! What a gaffe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOOOOPPS!!! I've done that back in the day in an online forum and it was really embarrassing. From then on, I was SUPER CAREFUL about things.

    On What We Do in the Shadows, there's an energy vampire called Colin Robinson and he would bore people to death with his thoughts and musings of supremely mundane things and then inhale their energy. Sounds like Marvin might well be from Colin Robinson's lineage. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.