Friday, August 20, 2021

August Happiness Challenge -- Day 20

Today's happiness -- Ronald Reagan. Before today, I don't think I've ever seen our 40th President exercise his previous profession. I just always assumed he was a lousy actor because, well, for the most part I never got his appeal as President.*
 
But I just watched Nine Lives Are Not Enough and it was a revelation. The future POTUS was lithe and adept at physical comedy, jaunty and charming with his fedora and pipe, roguish and not entirely ethical as a newspaper reporter (which especially amused me when I thought of how First Lady Nancy Reagan used to complain about the press).

This 1941 movie isn't great. It's short (just a whisper over an hour) and superficial and silly. But really, Reagan was good. I smiled a lot as I watched it.

*His speech after The Challenger tragedy is a notable exception. He was wonderful that night. I will always be grateful for the way he soothed us.

Each day in August you are to post about something that makes *you* happy. Pretty simple. And, it doesn't even have to be every day if you don't want it to be. It's a great way to remind ourselves that there are positive things going on in our lives, our communities, and the world.

2 comments:

  1. Who knew? I don't know that I have ever seen a Ronald Reagan movie. I will have to look for this one. Thanks for the tip. Sounds like a fun little movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never got his appeal, either. Especially when several people I know call him their favorite president. Huh?

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.