Saturday, July 10, 2021

Frown turned upside down

I woke up today feeling kinda ... bleh. Joanna and I had long planned to get together today. A Francophile, she volunteered to help out at a local boutique's Bastille Day event. When it was over at about 3:00, we were going to meet for a late lunch/early dinner. Then, Wednesday she let me know she had to cancel. Self-employed, she had a project that demanded her attention and she just couldn't afford to choose volunteer work over a paying assignment. I certainly understood and would have done the same thing in her position. But I was sad nevertheless. I keep getting stymied as I try to take tentative steps back into the post-Covid world.

When I turned on my cell this morning, I saw a text from Nancy. She and her her husband were going to be in my neighborhood. They'd been cleaning out their closets and wanted to donate their used running shoes to Soles4Souls, and there's a drop-off location nearby. There's also Nancy's favorite bookseller. She asked if, she was going to be literally around the corner from me, I wanted to meet them for lunch.

YES! YES! YES! Suddenly I was smiling again.

I like Nancy. I like her husband. Their life isn't perfect, of course. 2020 saw the death of Nancy's son and she's still not over that. (May never be over that.) But they aren't as complicated as John, Henry, Kathy or my oldest friend. They're easier to talk to and laugh with.

It was good to enjoy brunch -- complete with a screwdriver -- with them. 

Joanna is going to try to make it out here next weekend, too. I feel like I'm emerging from my Covid cocoon. 


Photo created by drobotdean - www.freepik.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.