Saturday, June 26, 2021

We have today

My little man is old, and likely dying. It's hard to believe, because he is still so social and affectionate, still good about eating and drinking and using his box.

But Reynaldo is 17 years old. That's equivalent to 84 in people years. His body is failing him. He has arthritis and cataracts, which don't seem to bother him so they don't bother me.

He is also losing weight, despite his thyroid medication. He suffers from long-term kidney disease. And today, the vet detected a heart murmur. 

The vet and I chatted a long time about all of this. While Reynaldo is in good spirits right now, he is not well. One of these maladies will, likely, kill him. Because everything that is alive just naturally dies of something. Which sucks. Because I want him to be my little man forever.

I expressed my preference that his comfort, not his longevity, be our top priority. The vet drew blood and we'll know Monday if we need to change his treatment plan.

I hate this. Because it hurts so much. I don't want it to be happening.

But I also don't want it to interfere with the months we have left together. He's OK today. He's happy today. We have today.

2 comments:

  1. Oh no, I am so sorry about Reynaldo. That was hard for me when Mandy died. I went through the same thing. I hope you have a little more time together and yes...you have today. Enjoy that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reynaldo has had an enviable life with you. This is a tough time and decision but doing what's best for Rey is what you'll do.

    Funny, when meme questions ask what animal you'd like to be, I always say a pampered dog (ala Maggie) but I should say a beloved cat like Rey and Connie as they also rule!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.