Sunday, January 03, 2021

Sunday Stealing

 THE END OF THE YEAR

 
First things first, did you have a good year? NO! However, there were bright spots. My niece was a beautiful bride in her small, safer wedding.After more than a decade, I've got a new supervisor and I adore him. With all due respect to The Who, the new boss is nothing like the old boss.

What was your favorite article of clothing this year? I wore sweatpants more this year than I have in years gone by. I like the elastic ankle bands. I'm short and am so sick of hemming jeans and slacks.

What song sums up this year for you? I'm sorry but I've got nothing for this one. As for 2021, I'll go with this. New POTUS, new vaccine, new year, new hope.


What was your favorite movie of the year? I really enjoyed this documentary on Showtime.
 

Did an actor/actress catch your attention for the first time this year? Not really, but one did change my perception. Early this year, before everything shut down, I saw Marriage Story with Scarlett Johanssen. She's an actress I never had much use for before, but she was impressed me.

Favorite new TV show? I was hooked on Tiger King.

Did you make any big permanent changes this year? I refinanced my mortgage. 30 years. At this stage in my life, it doesn't get more permanent than that.

What was one nice thing you did for yourself? Replaced my air conditioners. My home was quieter and more comfortable this summer, and my electric bill actually went down.

Did you develop a new obsession? Masks, I suppose. I discovered a world of masks on Etsy and got special ones for just about everyone on my holiday gift list.

Did you move? No.

Did you get a pet? No.

Do you regret not doing anything? I regret not ignoring the improperly masked woman at the post office who needed help. It's a good guess that she's the one who gave me the corona virus.

Do you regret doing something?
Similarly, I regret getting in line at the post office that day, and not just buying my holiday stamps from the vending machine. It's funny how a single, unimportant decision can have real consequences.

Did anyone/thing make you so mad it stayed with you for days? Donald Trump and his lies about our free and fair election. Fifty nine (59!) different judges have thrown his cases out because there is no evidence of election fraud. His own attorney general agrees with the courts. And yet Trump spins and his supporters gullibly accept whatever he says, so the Republicans cynically pander. We're suffering through the nightmare of Joe McCarthy on a grander, more national scale and it's obscene.

Did you lose anyone close to you? No. (Knock wood.)

Who was important to you this year but wasn’t important last year? The corona virus!

Who wasn’t as important to you this year as they were last year? Cologne. We're all wearing masks, so I no longer give a shit about fragrance.

What was the best moment of the year for you? Being included in my niece's wedding. The guest list went from 250 to 20, and the venue went from a reception hall to her new mother-in-law's deck. Yet she wanted me there. The spontaneous hug she enthusiastically gave me was beautiful. I'm so glad the wedding photographer caught the moment for me!

What was the worst? Getting my corona virus results.

What have you learned about yourself this year that you didn’t know in the years prior? That many of Donald Trump's supporters will stand by him through anything. And he stands for nothing. It's a tragedy.

What do you wish for others for the coming year? That we open our eyes and our hearts and let old Joe remind us who we are.
 
 

 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
What do you wish for yourself? Peace.



7 comments:

  1. I can still smell perfume even through my mask (two masks!). But I am terribly sensitive to such so it doesn't take much. It is another reason to stay out of the stores. We also still have smokers here who stand in the doorway, which is frustrating. I hope that 2021 brings about a kinder, gentler America.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great quote from Joe. Thanks for sharing it. I'm glad you've made it through the 'Rona, as we call it. Your voice would have been terribly missed. Much joy and success in the new year....

    ReplyDelete
  3. agreed! Love Biden's quote. We need to safeguard now against future tyrants who will seek power. This was our warning. And start a movement to cooperative action. I can't tell you how much I loved seeing two of my favorite singers together in a favorite song!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot about Tiger King--that show repulsed and fascinated me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wore sweat pants a lot too until I went back to work. I hate dressing up.
    I got a mask for Christmas and that is a great gift for this year! I have a lot of them too. Loved your answers! Have a nice day.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh boy, Barbra and Judy just made my day. THANK YOU for posting that. And I hope they, and you, are right that this year will be better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m short too..5’1”. I’ve started just whacking off the extra inches and letting it go at that. Life’s too short. And that isn’t a pun. But it could be. 😂

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.