Friday, December 11, 2020

Saturday 9

 
Saturday 9: Santa Baby (1987)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Madonna refers to Santa as "baby," "honey" and "cutie." What's the most recent endearment someone called you? My oldest friend begins and ends every call by calling me "dear."

2) At the top of her list are a fur coat, a new convertible and a yacht. If you could receive any of those luxury items, which would you choose? The convertible, because I think it would be the easiest to sell.

3) She would like to decorate her tree with ornaments from Tiffany's. Do you have a favorite holiday ornament or decoration? This is my teeny-tiny nativity. I kept it on the hotel nightstand every year when I visited Key West for Christmas. It always reminds me of the true meaning of the day.

 


4) "Santa Baby" was written in 1953, before electronic payments. While her wish list includes blank checks, a 2017 survey revealed that 51% of consumers felt check writing was "a pain." Who received the last check your wrote? Who most recently gave you a check? Wrote: Commonwealth Edison for my electric bill. Received: I can't recall.

5) Madonna has been a successful singer for decades, and 1985's "Into the Groove" is her top-seller. What's your favorite Madonna song? I'm not really a fan, but I have good memories attached to "Into the Groove."

6) Madonna was born in Bay City, MI, and traveled to New York City to find fame and fortune. When she first arrived, she supported herself by working at Dunkin' Donuts. What's your standard DD order? I don't drink coffee, but I do enjoy their chocolate frosted long john.

7) The only Christmas card Sam has received so far this year is from her dentist. Have you received many cards this year? Six

8) Will you wrap many presents? Or do you prefer to use gift bags? Mostly paper. Only one gift bag. (It was a baseball cap for my friend Kathleen. Caps are not easy to wrap.)

9) Madonna recorded "Santa Baby" to benefit The Special Olympics. Here's your chance to plug a cause or organization that's near and dear to you. Chicago's Night Ministry, dedicated to providing health care and shelter to those who need it most now. Whenever I hear someone bitch and moan about how they've had to "suffer" through this pandemic because of the mask mandate or they can't eat pizza indoors, I think of the homeless. The forgotten. It breaks my heart to consider what life is like for those who live on the street and depend on the generosity of office workers who are no longer going to the office, who depended on the restrooms in the Starbucks that is no longer open. They're struggling and they're scared. If you would like to help the homeless in your part of the country, here's a valuable link.


 

10 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your answers today.
    Love your adorable tiny Nativity set picture, thanks for sharing.
    Have a good Saturday my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The homeless of New York are also suffering. It’s so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you're feeling better. That tiny nativity scene is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The homeless worry me no matter where they are. We give to our local food pantry also. I love that nativity! So cute! Loved your answers! Have a great weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very good cause <3
    I did a "Point in Time" count one time and we had to go to shelters to count the residents.
    https://www.cceh.org/provider-resources/ct-point-in-time-count/

    ReplyDelete
  6. That’s a beautiful tribute to a cause dear to your heart.
    The homeless forgotten are a most worthy group. We donate to the food bank, here, and the downtown homeless shelter.
    Your tiny nativity set is so cute. Found mine when we unpacked the trunk. I’ll show it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The homeless in this region are invisible, that's why I make sure to donate knitted things to the homeless shelter. We're the only shelter in more than 150 miles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always loved that you kept that little nativity in the hotel room. I'm glad that you have a heart for the homeless, too. My husband does, too. I mean, I do, but not to the same extent...though probably only because I don't get into the city and see them very often. I always talk to them and give them something when I do, though. Sometimes, even if you don't have any money to give, your time and treating them like a normal person means the world to them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with you about the homeless. When I was sick, I was thankful for the fact that I was safe at home, have health insurance and so much more. I love you little Nativity.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a wellness check, Gal. Fingers crossed that you are doing ok.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.