Friday, June 26, 2020
Saturday 9: Beautiful People (2019)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) This song is about the fantasy of being one of the "beautiful people," but how hollow the reality can be. Do you often find yourself envying others for what they have? More often than I should. I don't begrudge them what they have; instead I feel bad about myself for what I haven't achieved. My oldest friend often warns against this, saying: "Compare and despair."
2) Ed Sheeran sings that he and his girl don't fit in well because they're "just ourselves." Who among your close friends do you find it easiest to be "just yourself?" John. We take one another as we are. After more than 35 years of friendship, I treasure that.
3) The lyrics refer to Hummers and Lamborghinis. What's your dream ride? My perfect car would be any one that is always at my beck and call, with a dependable driver forever behind the wheel.
4) Ed believes in giving back. One cause he supports is No Cold Homes, which helps ensure that everyone in the English city of Bristol has the fuel needed to keep their homes safe and comfortable. Here in the United States, he's raised funds for Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. Is there a cause that's near and dear to your heart? I worry a lot about food insecurity and the impact it has on children. That's why I give regularly to our local food pantry. Visit Feeding America to find the food bank nearest you.
5) Ed's arms are covered in tattoos, so clearly he doesn't suffer from trypanophobia, or a fear of needles. How about you? Do you look away when the doctor gives you a shot? No. I just had blood taken for labs and it felt very natural to watch.
6) One of Ed's tattoos is a bottle of Heinz Ketchup. What condiments would we find if we peeked into your refrigerator this morning? Sweet/sour sauce, salad dressing, mayo, pickle relish, barbecue sauce and ketchup.
7) Ed is a natural redhead, a trait he shares with only 2% of the population. Does red hair run in your family? Nope. Yet I was a redhead for decades (Nice & Easy #107).
8) In 2019, when this song was released, the FDA recommended the approval of a drug for treating peanut allergies in children. Do you suffer from any food allergies, or sensitivities? I don't know if it's technically an allergy, but I can no longer tolerate wine. Neither red nor white. Even a thimble full triggers a migraine. (I miss mimosas.)
9) Random question: What of these do you think is the biggest contributing factor to success -- hard work, luck or talent? Luck. All three are important, of course, but I've seen people work very hard but still never get a break, and talent is so often in the eye of the beholder.