Friday, June 05, 2020

Saturday 9


Saturday 9: When Love Goes Wrong (Nothing Goes Right) 1953

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.





1) This is from the movie Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. Have you seen it? A million times. Here's my favorite (and the most famous) scene.



2) The lyrics tell us that, when love goes wrong, "a match won't light." When did you most recently light a match? Probably some birthday candles, but I don't remember. I don't think I even have matches anymore.

3) The duet is performed at a French sidewalk cafe, where Jane Russell and Marilyn Monroe are (literally) sharing a cup of coffee. With whom did you most recently have coffee? I never drink coffee, but to be less literal, the last time I went on a coffee break was back in mid-March, when I still working at the office. I remember standing in the coffee room with Carla from production, as she sipped her coffee and I waited for my tea to brew.

4) The tune was written by prolific composer Hoagy Carmichael. He was influenced by his mother, who earned extra money for the family playing piano during silent movies. Who in your life influenced your career choices? When I was a secretary (back in the days when we were still called "secretaries"), I worked for an officious, rather silly man. One of the company's few women VPs had the office next to his, and she took a liking to me. "Doesn't it bother you that you're smarter than your boss?" she'd ask me. She gave me pep talks all the time, and when the opportunity arose to take the test to become a copywriter, she literally placed it in my hands (and into the hands of her own secretary). Her name was Celeste. I'm eternally gratefully to her. She really paid it forward.

5) Jane and Marilyn shared something beyond movie stardom. They were both married to Hall of Famers. Marilyn Monroe was married to Joe DiMaggio, who was inducted into the baseball Hall of Fame in 1955. Jane was married to quarterback Bob Waterfield, inducted into the football Hall of Fame in 1965. Which sport would you rather watch: baseball or football? Cubs baseball.

I miss my guys

 6) Jane and Bob Waterfield were high school sweethearts at Van Nuys High. The Southern California school was used as a set for the 1982 movie, Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Tell us something about your high school. Here's a cheer: We are the bulldogs, the mighty, mighty bulldogs. Everywhere we go, people wanna know, who we are. So we tell 'em: We are the bulldogs, the mighty, mighty bulldogs ...


7) Marilyn and Joe DiMaggio met on a blind date at a Hollywood restaurant called Villa Nova. Have you ever arranged a blind date? If so, did the couple hit it off and end up dating? Nope. I've never set anyone up.


8) In 1953, when Gentlemen Prefer Blondes was released, a tornado did severe damage to Waco, TX. Tell us about a major weather event that you endured (tornado, hurricane, flood, blizzard, heat wave, etc.). In 2011, we had the storm known as the SNOtorious BIG. More than 21" inches of snow fell. It was quite exciting. Of course, I'm on the fourth floor and don't have to shovel.

9) Random question: You see a filthy puddle. Floating on top are cigarette butts, a leaf, and a $1 bill. Would you bend over and rescue the dollar? Ew. Ick. No.


7 comments:

  1. We had the same cheer for the Wildcats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't high school songs wonderful. I can't remember mine now, but it was similar to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SNOtorious Big. I love the names we tag storms with. A few years ago all the conditions were right for a huge snowstorm here and all the news channels were yakking up "Snowmageddon" for days in advance. Panic and clearing of the grocery shelves ensued, but it was kind of anticlimactic. We only got about 14 inches. A good bit, but we've had far, far worse.

    Wow, that woman was really something special to look out for you and her own secretary. Kind of an inspiring story in today's everyone for themselves world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really miss baseball. I think it would help people right now with everything going on to be able to take our mind off of things, but they are still trying to figure out the season. I am excited though about how they will be playing regionally...so CUBS/CARDINALS!!! There is nothing better for me. I don't hate the Cubs either, I never have, I even rooted for the Cubs when you won the World Series. I love how the series is played up with such rivalry between the teams. That is a series I would like to see in person. They sell out so fast at Busch. I hope it happens. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mets fan here, sighing over the lack of a ball game. But I do love “Diamonds”...

    ReplyDelete
  6. That school song is something else. I bet you're really missing your baseball. I have a cousin in Chicago who is also a Cubs fan and she's missing it terribly.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.