Saturday, May 30, 2020

Fell asleep proud, woke up relieved

Yesterday, Chicagoans took to the streets to protest the murder of George Floyd. At first, when I saw this, I was frightened for my city. We're still healing after Laquan McDonald's death. But the afternoon protest was peaceful and respectful, with both police and protesters wearing masks.


From the SunTimes


Peaceful marching is the most appropriately American way to make ourselves heard. George Floyd's conviction and execution under the knee of a brutal cop is certainly a more worthy exercise of our  rights than grabbing a long gun and driving to the state capitol to whine about corona virus safety procedures.

Unfortunately, there was looting overnight. Arrests and two reported injuries. Disappointing to be sure, but I don't believe it was really a protest. I suspect that was opportunistic, and had more to do with stores reopening for business and merchandise returning to store windows as it did with George Floyd.

Still, when I woke up this morning and saw what happened in Minneapolis, Atlanta, New York, Los Angeles and our neighbors to the south in Lexington, I'm relieved and proud of my city. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.