Sunday, June 23, 2019

A movie about TV

The Cub game wasn't going well. I didn't feel like doing housework. So Saturday afternoon I ran to the movies. I'm very glad I did.

Imagine if Johnny Carson had been a British woman. Talented, witty, excellent. A little soulless, a little out of step. On top too long, slipping and in danger of being replaced.

To add diversity and relevance to her staff, she hires a young Indian woman. She means the young woman to be a mere token, but the new writer turns out to be much more than that.

Mindy Kaling wrote and costars in this workplace comedy. Her character is impressively imperfect, and therefore likeable and relatable.

Emma Thompson is amazing. I do believe she can do anything. I loved her in Dead Again. I loved her in Love, Actually. I even loved her as Nanny G on Cheers. She's like Meryl Streep, only with a little less technique on display.

Is this a great movie? No. Is it an entertaining way to spend an afternoon? Absolutely.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.