Saturday, April 27, 2019

Saturday 9


Saturday 9: Every Time You Go Away (1985)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This song is about separation. Who is the last person you said goodbye (or maybe just "so long") to? You know, I don't recall. Sorry.

2) This week's featured artist, Paul Young, was a gifted athlete during his school days and briefly played professional football (aka soccer). Sam enjoys playing tennis, though her serve doesn't give Serena Williams anything to worry about. What's something you enjoy doing, even if you don't excel? I am a terrible singer, and yet every morning I sing in the shower.

3) Mr. Young and his wife Stacy were married for 31 years, until her death in 2018. What do you think is the key to a happy marriage? I have no earthly clue.


4) Paul Young's performance of this hit song was one of the highlights of the July 1985 Live Aid Concert. This international benefit raised more than $100 million to alleviate hunger in Ethiopia. Tell us about a charity you support. Planned Parenthood. I want all babies to be wanted, and all mothers to be healthy.

5) This song was written by Daryl Hall, of Hall and Oates. What's your favorite Hall and Oates song? "She's Gone."

 

6) In 1985, when this song was popular, the New Coke was unsuccessfully introduced. What's the last beverage you drank? Milk

7) In 1985, the New York Stock Exchange had to close because of Hurricane Gloria. Has a hurricane shared your name? (Find a list of recent/upcoming storm names here.) I don't see myself there.

8) 1985 was the year that the Titanic wreckage was discovered. There have been at least 11 movies and TV shows about the fatal voyage. Have you seen any of them? I've seen Leo and Kate as Jack and Rose, of course. And I've seen parts of a Barbara Stanwyck/Clifton Webb version in glorious black and white.

9) Random question: Would you rather own and run a coffee shop or a shoe store? Why? I admit neither one of these options stirs my soul. I suppose a coffee shop. I really hate the smell of coffee, but I guess that means I wouldn't be tempted to drink the merchandise. My niece majored in culinary arts, so she could help me. 



6 comments:

  1. A little Coffee/tea cafe with a yarn nook would be perfect for me! Have a great Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, not the only non-coffee drinker!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shoes and coffee do not stir my soul either. Lots of non coffee drinkers on the Saturday 9! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made a donation recently to Planned Parenthood in the name of a congressional representative. ;)

    She's Gone--thank you for including that video link, I had forgotten how wonderful the song is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw that Stanwick/Webb movie too. A long, long time ago. BTW, I somehow overlooked a link you sent me to Unconscious Mutterings awhile ago. I followed it last night and will use some of the suggestions. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Neither store idea really appeals to me, either, even though I chose shoes, but I like your reasoning on it. I don't like coffee at all so wouldn't be tempted, but shoes? I'd probably blow all the profit buying my own shoes.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.