Saturday, March 02, 2019

Saturday 9

Saturday 9: Come Saturday Morning (1969)
 
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) What are your plans for this Saturday morning? I don't really have any! I love Saturdays like this.

2) In this song, a man sings of going away for the day with a friend. Where did you go on your last day trip? I spent the day with my friend Kathy in her new hometown, Dekalb. It's a college town 65 miles northwest of Chicago. We had a nice day and it felt good to support her in this new chapter of her life.

3) The lyrics say, "we will remember long after Saturday's gone." What's something you've done recently that you predict you'll remember for a long time to come? My chiropractic treatments. I feel so much better, but I think the ice packs and morning/nighttime stretches will be part of my life for the rest of my life.

4) This song was the Oscar-nominated theme from the movie The Sterile Cuckoo. What's the first movie song that pops into your head? From last weekend's Oscars. As Jackson said to Ally, "You may be a songwriter."



5) In the movie, Liza Minnelli played Mary Ann Adams, an eccentric girl everyone called "Pookie." Have you ever been known by a memorable nickname? Who gave it to you? When I was very young, my dad had nicknames for me: "Andy Panda," "Mouse" and "Tiger."

6) Today's group began their career as The Grads. Recording artist/producer Herb Alpert liked their sound but hated their name. Alpert picked "sandpiper" at random out of the dictionary. Do you still have and use a bound dictionary? Or do you rely on the internet for word searches and spelling? I have a bound dictionary, but more for sentimental reasons than utility.


7) The biggest news story of 1969, the year this song was popular, was one of the biggest news stories of all time. On July 20, Neil Armstrong stepped foot on the moon. Other than the moon landing, what's the most consequential event that you've seen in your lifetime. How do you feel it changed America, and the world? Golly! One of my earliest life memories is President Kennedy's assassination. It left a mark on me personally, like my vaccination scar. I will always remember 9/11 like it was yesterday. Columbine added "school shootings" to our national vernacular. 

But the news story that it feels like we just keep living with, day in/day out is Watergate. "Gate" has become our suffix any scandal. And anyone who lived through it in the 1970s can't help feeling like we're living through it again. In my heart, I fear that Donald Trump will make Richard Nixon look like he belongs on Mount Rushmore.



8)1969 was a big year for music festivals, with Atlanta, Toronto and Woodstock all holding famous fests. Have you visited Georgia, Ontario or New York (state)? Yes to all three.


9) Random question -- According to some plant enthusiasts, house plants do better when they're spoken to. Do you talk to your plants? Yes. When I water my massive philodendrons, I always say, "Here you go, girls," or something of the sort. It seems to be working, as they appear to be heading toward world domination.

Some day I'm going to drape the Audreys around the room like this.

10 comments:

  1. I didn't watch the Oscars, nor seen the movie Star is Born.. but I listened to the song Shallow you posted...and WOW.. me thinks I will go rent the movie! Have a great Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to see you get that on the Lexington Avenue bus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a line from 「Desk Set」referring to Bunny's philodendron.

      Delete
  3. Yes, the assassination of Kennedy was a world event. I was in college and can remember exactly where I was when I first heard the news. I read something yesterday that I must agree with: "JFK was the last true Democrat."

    ReplyDelete
  4. #7 So true!
    Philodendrons,one of my technicians had one growing all around his work station and he asked me to water it while he was on vacation. Big mistake... I killed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also considered Columbine. We have to do all kinds of active shooter training to work in the schools. It is just crazy. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I surrender to my Black Thumb Of Death. I feel guilty that I kill innocent plants.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So far you're the only one with living indoor plants!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My plants are doing fairly well, but I don't talk to them. I have never been to a chiropractor. I think about it often, but I never seem to go.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is such a beautiful song. I can't believe how much Gaga has had to put up with from her idol. She has a great voice and some pipes!
    Hahaha.. world domination for the philodendrons! *does a hop and screams YES!*

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.