Sunday, January 20, 2019

Sunday Stealing





Sunday Stealing: Ravenclaw



1. Do you have a passion project? What is it? Until this morning, I'd never heard the phrase "passion project." Maybe I'll start one. I have to give it more thought.

2. How many languages can you speak?
One.

3. What was the last book you read? 



4. Where in the world would you most like to visit?
Hmm... I don't have many burning international travel goals. If money was absolutely no object, I'd love to take the TCM Classic Cruise. It's five days, from NYC to Bermuda and back, but that isn't why I'd love to hop aboard. It's also five full days of classic movie events. TCM buys out the entire ship. It's all screenings and lectures and theme parties and everyone on the ship is there because they love classic movies. 


To go the way I dream of going (which is not the cheapest option, obviously) is $5000. That includes onboard meals and events, but not airfare to/from New York, or non-mealtime snacks, or spending money when I'm in Bermuda (because I'd want to venture out onto dry land and into the sunshine sometime). So it's not going to happen any time soon.

5. Top 5 fictional characters?
Because #4 has me thinking of movies ...

1) Katie Morosky (Barbra Streisand, The Way We Were)
2) Jo March (Katharine Hepburn, Little Women)
3) Rhett Butler (Clark Gable, Gone with the Wind)
4) Toto (Terry the Terrier, The Wizard of Oz)
5) John McClaine (Bruce Willis, Die Hard)


6. Something you miss from your childhood?
It's a someone. My favorite grandpa. I was his favorite grandchild and, in real time, I didn't really appreciate it. I wish I'd been smart enough to really drink in the time, attention and unconditional love he generously gave. Plus, he was a wise and uncommonly good man. He died when I was in high school. I want more time with him!

7. What skill do you wish you had?
I wish I was bilingual.

8. Tell us an interesting fact.
Paul McCartney met John Lennon in July, 1957, when my mom was four months pregnant with me. George Harrison joined them seven months later, when I was two months old. So the Beatles and I were born at just about the same time.


9. What was your favorite subject in school?
English.

10. Favorite planet?
This one.

11. Which historical figure fascinates you and why?
John F. Kennedy. I've learned so much about America, and about life, by studying him. He was, in many ways, more courageous than the average citizen knows and yet so desperately flawed in others. (John Jr. once said, "People tell me I could be a great man. I'd rather be a good man." Those are the words of a little boy who was raised by a heartbroken mother.)


Still, I am forever inspired by JFK's words and works. He encouraged the country to aspire, to be more, to be better. We are better for his time with us, and his loss remains incalculable for so many reasons.


When President Trump chose to use JFK's Resolute desk in his Oval Office, I hoped that some idealism, elegance and positivity would rub off. I have since given up.

12. Favorite mythical creature?
I'm not sure I have one.

13. Do you believe in any conspiracy theories?
They won't be "theories" anymore, once Mr. Mueller shares the evidence.

14. What is your favorite word?
I like "gubernatorial," because it's fun to say. Living in Illinois, where our governors have an unfortunate tendency to get into legal hot water, I have opportunity to use it.

15. Do you have any obsessions right now?
The Cubs. Spring training starts in less than a month and I simply cannot wait! Yea!



via GIPHY

16. Do you play any instruments? 
No

17. What’s your worst habit?
I'm a slob

18. Do you have a collection of anything?
Stuff from the 1960s (which is now called "midcentury").

19. What’s your biggest ‘what if’?
My friend Barb offered me a job back in 2005 and I didn't take it. I wonder if my finances and career wouldn't be in a better place now.

20. What is your favorite fairy tale?
Sleeping Beauty, I suppose. But I've never been much a fairy tale fan.

21. Have you ever dyed your hair? Is there a color you’d like to dye it?
I was a Lucy redhead for 20 years.

22. If you could learn one language overnight, which would you choose?
Spanish

23. What’s the most useless thing you know how to do?
It's a toss up between Gregs shorthand and wiggling my ear.

24. What’s the most important change that should be made to your country’s education system?
Free pre-K.


 

4 comments:

  1. I love the idea of free pre-k! It was that way when my son was in school, but not anymore.
    The Cubs! Yes! My obsession is the Cardinals, so I totally understand! Loved your answers! Have a nice day!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey...I know Gregg and ear wiggling too. I'm amazed at how many people didn't understand "passion project." I just assumed it was a project about which you were passionate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't?

      Looks like I got Question #1 wrong.

      Delete
  3. Yippee-ki-ay...I wish I had thought to use movie characters. For some reason I took it mean only literary characters.
    I have to confess I have developed a recent appreciation for all things "mid-century modern."

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.