Wednesday, June 27, 2018

That was fun!

I spent 90 minutes on the phone to my oldest friend! We just blabbed and blabbed. We just laughed and laughed. It felt so good to reconnect. I have been so worried about her health and well being that I'd forgotten how much I depend on her, how much our connection means to me. I've known her since Kindergarten. I can literally think of only three people on earth who have known me longer. I feel rejuvenated after our talk.

I didn't tell her that a finance company contacted me, looking for her. She knows she's not making her car payment. She knows they are trying to reach her. Why embarrass her? Especially when we were getting along so well.

I am not fooled by what happened here. Just because I feel better doesn't mean she feels better. She is still unemployed and beyond broke. She is still trying to get her welfare straightened out so that she can get the meds she needs. She is still battling heart trouble, arthritis, bad teeth and most of all, depression.

But I think of that phone call as a little bud, a little shoot on a venerable old plant. I'm going to nurture and make sure our connection stays strong.




2 comments:

  1. I am so relieved you connected! I know you've been worried. And even if she's not feeling better she felt well enough to talk to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came to your blog via WWW Weds so maybe it's random to comment on more personal things (not sure on blogging etiquette yet, to be honest), but just wanted to say this is a great post in every way. Like that you still can talk to a friend you've known for THAT long, and just the compassion and consideration in this whole thing. I hope things get better for your friend!!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.