Wednesday, November 01, 2017

The list just got longer

There are artists whose films I simply refuse to pay to see. Until recently, the one I missed the most was Woody Allen. I loved his work. Perceptive, sharp. Romantic but wise. Funny and touching. He is a brilliant film maker and writer, and an abysmal human being. Forget the allegations Mia Farrow made about him molesting their little girl. Just look at what he admitted to: he seduced his lover's daughter ... he romanced the sister of his son and daughter. He destroyed a family, just because he was horny. I refuse to put money in this man's pocket.

And I feel betrayed because I enjoyed Woody Allen so very much.

Now we know that Kevin Spacey has a dark, dark side. Entertaining, clever and so very versatile. (Who else could quote both Bobby Darin song lyrics and Hamlet's soliloquy in the same conversation?) From the time I saw him in Glengarry Glen Ross, way back in 1992, when he told Alan Arkin to "go to lunch," I've never seen him give a bad performance.

But it turns out he is a very bad man. Again, as with Woody, I am basing this not on the allegations but on the admitted fact. He responded to charges that he tried to compromise a minor by first blaming booze and then coming out the closet. Really? Like alcoholic = pedophile, or homosexual = pedophile? No, Mr. Spacey, the only thing that equals pedophile is pedophile.

I'm done with Kevin Spacey, but it makes me sad.

Why does God bestow such extravagant gifts on such unworthy people?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.