Sunday, April 03, 2016

Let's do the timewarp again!


I've become obsessed with black and white game shows. Specifically What's My Line, To Tell the Truth, and I've Got a Secret. The episodes I'm seeing every night on the Buzzr channel seem to be from the late 1950s and early 1960s.

I love how elegant the women were, how courtly the men were, how polite everything was. It captures an America on the cusp of change, a cultural tsunami the nation didn't see coming.

My favorite on these shows is John Daly, the host of What's My Line. He had such a good face, warm
and open.

I've become such a fan that I researched him and discovered he had an impressive, important career beyond hosting mystery guests like Elizabeth Taylor (then only on husband #2). As a newsman, his was the first voice to let America know about Pearl Harbor! Can you imagine? He also was a staple on TV's Presidential convention coverage.

The result, though, is that I know more about a man who died in 1991 at the venerable age of 77 than I do about people in current entertainment news, like Kendrick Lamar.



2 comments:

  1. I don't know who Kendrick Lamar is. I feel proud to say that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who *is* Kendrick Lamar?

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.