Saturday, March 19, 2016

Of course, back then I had a cuter rack

Alas, no longer me
It occurred to me today that I'm living the same life I had when I was 19. Only in those days, my bust was perkier.

When I was 19, I was living in a place that was falling apart. Ditto. Back then, I wasted 2-3 hours every weekend at the laundromat. And guess where I spent this sunny Saturday? At the same laundromat! Naturally, I hated it. On the other hand, I'm a little glad that it's still there.

What was then an Arthur Treacher's Fish and Chips franchise is now a Wendy's, where I got a completely adequate burger. However, since burgers are are still a rather new addition to my 2016 diet, I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Three washers used to cost me 17 quarters ($4.25), and today I had to plug in a staggering 41 coins ($10.25). I lost track of how much I spent on the dryers.

Today I brought my own Lysol wipes. This is an enhancement over the olden days, when I had to wipe down the folding table with a damp paper towel.

I was the only Caucasian there today. Besides an Asian man who worked there, everyone there was African American. I wasn't uncomfortable, but I was aware. I thought about my friend John. He regularly points out, "Once again, I'm the only black man at the table." Today I was the only white woman.

Oh well. It's done. Hopefully, but next week we'll have new washers here at my condo. If not, well, I have two weeks worth of clean clothes to tide me over.


2 comments:

  1. I was at the laundromat today (Sunday) and there was a woman talking to her machines. I looked carefully for a bluetooth headset, but nope, she was talking to the washer and dryer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The old sayin "the more things change, the more they stay the same" is still often true

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.