Wednesday, January 06, 2016

WWW.WEDNESDAY

WWW.WEDNESDAY is back! To participate, and to see how others responded, click here.

1. What are you currently reading? Cheap Shot by Ace Atkins. It's one of the more recent Spenser mysteries, so obviously it can't be written by the late Robert B. Parker. But Atkins is so good at writing in Parker's style that I feel like I'm still hanging around with the cast I've come to care for (Hawk, Z, Pearl and even Susan). Like Parker, he writes so affectionately about Spenser's Boston that I long to go back. I'm so happy to be with my old friends again that the plot almost doesn't matter. But it is pretty engaging so far. A football star's son has been kidnapped, and Spenser is working hard to get the youngster returned safely.


2. What did you recently finish reading? Brief Encounters by Dick Cavett. A series of essays and a collection of Cavett's NY Times columns. By turns entertaining (when talking about his career), poignant (reminiscing about his boyhood), and tiresome (yeah, yeah, yeah, so you went to Yale), it was a quick read. One thing I especially appreciated about it was the head-scratching amazement that Sarah Palin ever mattered. Well, I feel the same about Trump today. Hopefully someday soon he'll be just as irrelevant as the Alaskaradashian matriarch.

3.  What will you read next? Not sure

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:24 PM

    I'm glad Atkins mimicked his style well. I'm nervous to read the new Millenium series book because I'm afraid it won't sound like Larsson. Happy reading and thanks for participating in WWW Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like those kind of "old friends", too! Have to get back to my WWW. Wednesday routine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been to Boston in a while. It's a fun city.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.