Sunday, February 08, 2015

Feeling much better about it all

"Our anger is overcome by our faith."

So said our minister this morning. He was talking about his rage when over the Jordanian pilot who was burned alive by ISIS. He said he was wiping his kitchen counter when he heard the news, and told us that his reaction was so strong that, had he been washing dishes at that moment his household would have had service for seven, not eight.

But it passed. He understands that terrorism is born of fear and deprivation, and that our love and faith are stronger and will prevail.

It's the sermon I wanted to hear -- needed to hear -- last month, right after the slaughter at Charlie Hebdo in Paris. Ironically this morning's home run was hit by our associate minister, the same man who disappointed me last month. He was at the pulpit again this week because our regular minister was spending the service with the Sunday School students.

I feel better. I feel happier. I heard that a more learned man than I wrestles with these issues, and he taught me how to work through it by sharing how he works through it.

This is why I go to church. I felt lighter when I left the building.


1 comment:

  1. After your last experience, I'm glad that he was able to step up for you, and probably others in your congregation. It helps to feel both validated and instructed.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.