Friday, October 31, 2014

Saturday 9

Saturday 9: Welcome to My Nightmare (1975)


Do you think he's smiling?
1) Tell us about a bad dream you've had. After a recent trip to the zoo, where I was fascinated by the alligators, I had a scary dream about one of my reptilian friends. I was asleep on the beach with arm stretched out and awoke to a gator approaching me, mouth agape.

2) Sam is not crazy about spiders. What frightens you, or gives you "the creeps?" In addition to gators (who I kind of dig), squirrels and clowns make the the list.

3) This week's featured artist, Alice Cooper, has always liked to dress up. Performing as Alice, he wears garish eye makeup. In his first group, he and his bandmates dressed as the Beatles. Will you be wearing a costume this weekend? Nope.

4) Alice says his makeup was inspired by Bette Davis in his favorite horror movie, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? This Halloween weekend, will you seek out horror movies and scary TV shows, or will you avoid them? While I have been known to enjoy having the crap scared out of me on occasion, I'm just not in the mood right now.

5) Born Vincent Furnier, Alice used to tell reporters that he and his band got the name Alice Cooper from a Oujia board. Have you ever tried a Oujia board? Yes, when I was in junior high. But I wasn't very into it.

6) Alice and his band (also called Alice Cooper) were discovered by music manager Shep Gordon while playing in Venice, California. Have you ever visited Venice, California or Venice, Italy? I've been to Venice, CA, and thought it was quirky/charming.

7) In 1970s England, a morality campaigner named Mary Whitehouse persuaded the BBC to ban Alice Cooper. The ensuing publicity resulted in such a bump in record sales that Alice sent Ms. Whitehouse flowers. Do you believe in censorship? Or should adults be able to choose to see/hear whatever they wish? While I'm not a fan of censorship, I do appreciate the warnings and ratings that show up on the beginning of a show or movie. I like knowing in advance if I'm going to see something violence or intense.

8) Today Alice has a popular syndicated radio show, Nights with Alice Cooper. Listeners all over the United States, Germany, Denmark, New Zealand, and the UK hear him introduced as, "a man for whom even Dr. Phil has no cure." Do you watch Dr. Phil? I'm not a viewer, but I do like his accent. Where is he from? Is that a Texas twang I hear?

9) Did you get many trick or treaters this year? What candy did you give them? I didn't get any trick or treaters this year. However, I did ride the el with a Disney Princess this morning, and I saw a man in a shark costume signing in with building security.



6 comments:

  1. A shark costume? That's different. I love the creativity of Halloween the best, I think. People do such unique stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phil is all about Texas. Part of the reason I'm not a big fan. ;-)
    (I keed I keed)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some students were going to a Halloween dance and discussed their costumes all day--the best was bunny ears and a swiffer duster to be a dust bunny. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:45 PM

    Yes, I believe Dr. Phil is from Texas. I think Oprah met him during that whole beef trial thing.

    So many people are creeped out by clowns that I wonder why they still have them??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good news for you- the Floridian gators hate salt water :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I meant middle aged men- the kind with a beer belly and balding head who can't pick up after himself and only wants to date a 25 year old. Not spinster. I left "males" out- sorry. Spinsters are cool. When I got my marriage license they listed me as a spinster. I was like wth? I'm hoping that cook county has changed that one by now :)

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.