Thursday, October 30, 2014

I suppose it's the natural order of things

Today, while I was standing at the Xerox machine, making copies for the umpteenth time in my 39 year office career (33 spent as a writer), I was overwhelmed by a feeling of exhaustion.

"I wish I could retire," I thought to myself.

Don't get me wrong: I enjoy writing. And I need to work at least 6 more years if I am to retire in any comfort. I hope I accomplish that here because it's comfortable here.

But it's the twilight of my career. I know that. And I'm feeling it.


4 comments:

  1. I'm a little more than half-way through my teaching career. I know there is an end in sight. But I do feel overwhelmed when I realize I still have 13 years left. I feel you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hope you can. i am planning on 1 1/2 years from now...not the word planning.
    xoxxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heavens, you are tired. Hope you get a bit of relief on the weekend but having just read what your weather is like this Halloween weekend (I am really late to the party) I think you are housebound. What vicious weather!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My retirement plan is to hvae each of my 5 children furnish 20% of my living expenses. Or more realistically, to die at my desk. I've got 20 years easy before retirement.

    Hang in there. Every day you make it is one day less you'll have to work :)

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.