Wednesday, September 10, 2014

"Even second-rate Hitchcock is intriguing"

So said Will, our movie club moderator after we watched Saboteur. And he was right. The movie was both intriguing and frustrating, marred by plot holes that don't exist in Hitchcock's more polished  efforts.

I'd never seen this 1942 film before and was surprised by how handsome Robert Cummings was. He's one of the actors I grew up seeing on sitcoms and talk shows and he always seemed so old and corny. Watching Saboteur, seeing him at his prime, I can see why he worked so consistently for decades.

It was good to see "the girls" again. Martha, the Buddhist bus driver, was filled with tales of her trip to San Francisco. Joanna was excited to show me the power point presentation she created for her ambitious new business project. Joanna also invited me to her birthday party at Francesca's this weekend. I don't think I'll go, but it's nice to feel like I'm making friends. It's been a long time since I connected with people I haven't met through work. And here the three of us are, very different but introduced by our love of classic film.




2 comments:

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.